• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

round count, really?

lunchbox

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
21   0
Reaction score
This come up in trades and sales all the time, Round count. Does it real give you a good idea of the mileage of a firearm or how much to devalue a firearm? An AR-15 with 10,000 rounds down an noncorome lined tube is very different then a pistol with the same round count. The only way for one to truly figure out barrel ware is to scope or cast the barrel. Even with that info the value or devalue of a firearm is still very subjective. A M&P barrel is $90 where a Sig barrel 229 is $180.

So what are your thoughts on the subject. Is round count a big deal to you?

People ask for round counts on Mosins LOL...No telling how many wars those barrels have been through before landing in the US.

I was told glocks are warrantied until 425,000 rounds or something haha. I don't really worry about it. Also like you said barrels for common stuff doesn't strike me as a big deal.

Any gun I've put a ton of rounds down the pipe, I would never put up for sale because I enjoy the gun. I'd only sell one that was never fired or only had a few rounds down the pipe. YMMV

It matters to me, I have shoot out AR barrels and 1911 barrels before. Not only replacement cost of the barrel but if it's like Glock or Cz where the barrel it matched serial numbers it does loose value. Very similar to miles on a car engine. It matters. Also, a target rifle matters a lot.more to me them a AR or AK barrel but still matters.

If i have an idea of round count i try to post it in a sale/trade just for those that want to know. Doesn't really matter much to me unless its up in the 10s of thousands.

tens of thousands don't matter either. By then, it's probably a war relic or something still worth having/collecting and even shooting and probably worth more now than it was new...and may surprise you at how accurate it still is.

If anyone here that isn't a comp shooter that practices all day every day thinks they can wear out a barrel in their lifetime...LOL. AND, if you count and keep a tally of rounds fired, they do make meds for your brand of psychosis now. Unless it's a zero or near count, I always assume the seller is a liar if he actually has a round count to claim.

edited to add...I'd be more interested in type of rounds fired than how many. I'm leery of some of these reloaders and what all they pound down a barrel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom