• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger .45 Blackhawk undersized cylinder throats

Why would you want to? It's cut as a cone for a reason.

Hello Ruger. I can't shove a bullet in the cylinder the wrong way. Can you fix that?

Revolver cylinders have a throat that the bullet passes through before it hits the forcing cone in the barrel. If you're shooting cast bullets, a bullet of the proper size should barely pass through the throat without swaging it down, hurting accuracy. The reason for inserting a test bullet into the face of the cylinder is to determine if an unswaged bullet will pass through. This is a poor man's way of determining throat size without using gauge pins.

I emailed or called 3 gunsmiths and they don't ream cylinders. Does anyone know of a gunsmith in the metro Atlanta or N. GA area that does this? If I can't find anyone, I may send the cylinders off to a guy in N.C. (Cylinderhone, or something like that), but he's on vacation for another week.

I just realized that the recommended cylinder reaming guy on Castboolits who goes by "DougGuy" is the same person in NC who runs the shop you referenced called Cylinderhone. Sounds like he'll be back in town on 7/22, so you might just wait on him if Fermin can't get it done. DougGuy has a great reputation.

Why would you want to? It's cut as a cone for a reason.

Hello Ruger. I can't shove a bullet in the cylinder the wrong way. Can you fix that?

Because if you can't do that, then it the lead bullet is going to get squeezed down when fired and be reduced in diameter, which can lead to accuracy problems and a leaded bore. The bullet needs to be slightly oversized (like .0001" to the bore) so it will obturate/ fill up the grooves in the barrel, not allowing hot gasses to go around it upon firing. The gasses need to be held behind the bullet, not passing around the sides where it can melt the lead and have it deposited in the barrel.
A simple test is that you should be able to pass a correctly sized bullet completely through the cylinder holes with minimal finger pressure, if any.

Dimensions of Ruger parts can vary a little from gun to gun but I have the same model flattop and I've not had the throats reamed.
It has acceptable (for me) accuracy considering the short barrel. For the first few hundred rounds, I fed it only jacketed bullets at moderate velocity to smooth up any imperfections in the bore. It shoots great and does not lead the bore. I've found that the ACP cylinder (or maybe it's the ammo) is a bit more accurate than the 45 Colt.
Have you shot your's? You may find that it shoots well just the way it is. Also, if you're handloading, you can use bullets that fit your throat and bore diameters.

I sent the cylinders off to Fermin Garza (2 Dogs from a few websites- he has a very good reputation) to ream the cylinders. I do plan to shoot FMJ bullets to smooth out the bore when I get to shoot it.

I've got the same issue with my 45 Blackhawk convertable. Called Ruger and they advised cylinders plus or minus .007 are within Sami specs. No help from them.
Moss Firearms in Jasper can do it at $100.00 per cylinder.
I'm still trying to contact Hogleg Smith in Gainesville. Best revolver gun smith in Ga. He's done some work for me before and is cheaper than most and knows a wheel gun better than himself. My cylinders are .003 under bore size. That stages bullet before ever hitting the rifling and leads like heck. Not to mention all those gases lock cylinder pretty tight after 10-20 rounds so it makes cocking a chore. Doesn't help ejecting bullets either. Chestatee guns in Dawsonville says they can do it but don't know anything about them.

Back
Top Bottom