• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ruger Security 6

lwrd81

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
41   0
Reaction score
I acquired this pistol a few weeks ago and figured i'd use as a truck gun.
By the ser# it is a 1976 year model. The cylinder lock will not hold unless you put up pressure on the trigger. When the hammer is cocked it locks tight. A cylinder lock plate should fix this about $4. My main question is at the end of the barrel it appears to be swollen just below the front site. Does anyone know if they came this way or at one time something went wrong?

Attachments

• ss2.jpg
    ss2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 42
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ss3.jpg
    ss3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 41
  • ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 41
Probably had a squib load, or some other obstruction, and was fired again. May be why it isn't locking op correctly. You may want to have it inspected by a gunsmith.

for sure not normal and i've had a couple of these including the 6". would be worth being looked over, i doubt it would pose any real risk with where the buldge is located (hell could always just cut it down) but i would just want to make sure the rest of the internals are in ok shape as your already having other issues. no reason it cant be fixed though, these things are built like tanks, one of the few guns you could honestly beat a horse to death with and it would still just keep shooting

Get that band saw a' runnin. You've got some barrel choppin to do. If all other mechanics are still safe/good condition I would have a respectable smithy turn down that barrel.

Back
Top Bottom