• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Rules for Police Stops

The question is how do I get a lawyer on the retainer???

My attorney is one that helped me out of a sticky situation already. He told me not to worry to about the money because he knows I am good for it. Having dealt with me in the past he knows what kind of client he is getting. I found mine through another attorney who is a friend of a friend.

I recommend you ask friends and family for references and then go talk to one of two and see if you like them. You probably want to find one in your county too, they are almost all one big country club. The defense guys know the prosecutors, they all know the judges, etc. Make sure you get a good first impression and trust he guy. If not, then look some more. While not my attorney, N Cochran is a NICE guy here on the ODT who also happens to be an attorney. PM him, although he is in Canton GA.

This might be the best response I've ever read in one of these threads.

Not every police action is a violation of your rights. Not every encounter is an excuse to lock you up. Not every interaction is a fishing expedition.

Thanks. The stops that really get my blood boiling are the check points and open carry stops. These are both really marginal at best and are ALMOST always fishing expeditions. Also NO MATTER WHAT be respectful. Act like a thug then 100% of the time you will get treated like a thug (not to mention it raises your chances of the encounter going south). Don't get me wrong, I believe we need LEO to keep what I call "general order" but I believe currently they are becoming too over-reaching.

You could do like a friend of mine did on a traffic stop. He had just gotten his permit and got pulled over in Chattanooga. Instead of waiting for the officer to ask for license and registration, he leans out the window and yells that he has a gun. That got about 10 more units on scene quickly and they ended up dragging him out of the car at shotgun point. They got it all cleared up but he learned a valuable lesson.

You could do like a friend of mine did on a traffic stop. He had just gotten his permit and got pulled over in Chattanooga. Instead of waiting for the officer to ask for license and registration, he leans out the window and yells that he has a gun. That got about 10 more units on scene quickly and they ended up dragging him out of the car at shotgun point. They got it all cleared up but he learned a valuable lesson.

Lol. "Heyyyyyy, I got a gun in the car." That wasn't the smartest thing I've heard.... I've been asked if I had any weapons on me during a simple stop and told them no. It's none of their business what I have on me as long as I'm legally allowed to have it. It's always on my side, so if I'm asked to get out of the car, I then tell them I have a weapon on my side and that I do have a valid permit, and just end up sitting the gun on the dash in plain view. I never hand it to the officer.

Lol. "Heyyyyyy, I got a gun in the car." That wasn't the smartest thing I've heard.... I've been asked if I had any weapons on me during a simple stop and told them no. It's none of their business what I have on me as long as I'm legally allowed to have it. It's always on my side, so if I'm asked to get out of the car, I then tell them I have a weapon on my side and that I do have a valid permit, and just end up sitting the gun on the dash in plain view. I never hand it to the officer.

he is an Alabama fan. what can I say?

I've been asked if I had any weapons on me during a simple stop and told them no. It's none of their business what I have on me as long as I'm legally allowed to have it. It's always on my side, so if I'm asked to get out of the car, I then tell them I have a weapon on my side and that I do have a valid permit, and just end up sitting the gun on the dash in plain view. I never hand it to the officer.

Lying to the police is a crime though. I am not sure I would answer the question in the negative. I would likely plead the 5th, yes I understand he will take that as a yes but I don't think I want to flat out lie. Or I would divert the question to something else like why he needs to know for a simple traffic citation.
Maybe someone can clarify the lying to the police issue even if the question is really unlawful. I also assume a traffic stop (let's say for an out taillight) is a Tier 2 stop, right (because you are not free to go until you sign the citation)? I may start a new thread on these 2 things.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/480195-2-LEO-attorney-questions-that-grew-from-another-thread?p=2542886#post2542886

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom