• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Rules for Police Stops

I think something interesting to glean from the articles is when obstruction is allowed. Up until you are commanded to stay or "detained" you don't have to be searched, hand over property, etc. But keep in mind if your actions "could" be construed as suspicious. Things as simple as crossing in front of a store multiple times have initiated a Terry stop legally.

And a lot of times if you ask the LEO if you are being detained he will not answer the question. If you are detained they are sometimes reluctant to tell you why also. They will fabricate the RAS after they find something. MOST people won't bother going to the station afterwards to file a complaint. Plus you are likely to get a mark in the system if you do complain. It takes effort and determination to stand up for yourself. Like I said compliance is easy.

And a lot of times if you ask the LEO if you are being detained he will not answer the question. If you are detained they are sometimes reluctant to tell you why also. They will fabricate the RAS after they find something. MOST people won't bother going to the station afterwards to file a complaint. Plus you are likely to get a mark in the system if you do complain. It takes effort and determination to stand up for yourself. Like I said compliance is easy.

If he wont answer then walk away, but often people stick around still asking

I complained about an officer once, but I decided to be overly litigious about it and after enough prodding he received some sort of official reprimand, but nothing consequential. Worst thing that could happen to him is that they use it as grounds to fire him when they need a reason to.

And after that? Do I just pick up the yellow pages and go down the list?

Find one with a good record that you trust and keep his number handy most lawyers aren't overbooked right now. I you're really concerned call that lawyer and ask. Hell ask for a certain amount of money which acts as a prepayment to the services he will render when you need him, but it acts as a place holder keeping him available to you so be any really say he's to busy for you.

I got pulled over at a speed trap in Cherokee County Sunday.
I rolled my window down all the way.
I showed my ID when asked.
I answered all questions with Yes Sir / No Sir... I drove away with a warning for going 60 in a 45...

Why didn't you hold a video camera in his face and question everything he said though?

Likely because he was guilty and had in fact broken the law. It is person and situation dependent. Use your best judgment but you also know the law and your rights.

This might be the best response I've ever read in one of these threads.

Not every police action is a violation of your rights. Not every encounter is an excuse to lock you up. Not every interaction is a fishing expedition.

Back
Top Bottom