• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

S/A XDS 45 acp....a disappointment

inkdaddy

Coast Guard Icon Supporter
Graduate, ODT class of 2010!!
165   0
Reaction score
Went to the range last night. While I was there there was a guy trying to sell his new S/A XDS. I got a chance to look it over up close and personal and it is a little smaller and slimmer than my G36. He then asked if I would like to shoot it and of course my answer was yes. I got to tell you for me personally, I am so glad I did not buy one when I almost did twice when I could not find my G36. The grip on that gun is so aggressive it really hurt my ring and little finger only after 5 rounds. There is nothing like that when shooting the G36. I am so glad I waited for my G36. Springfield Armory makes a quality firearm but I think they went overboard on the grip for the XDS. This may be why you see a lot of them already up for sale or trade.!!

I have the opposite feeling about them. I guess I am one that likes the more aggressive grip though. I really liked how thin the frame is and how balanced the gun is. I felt the aggressive grip was necessary to tame a .45 in that small of a frame and be able to hold on tight. I also have either have some form of grip tape or stippling on all my pistols, except the Gen4 Glocks that are already aggressive.

I think perspective of what the XDS is may affect "how you like it".
It's meant to be a very small, very slim self defense weapon. It's the same dimensions as a Nano for Pete's sake! Loaded with big ol .45! Practically a pocket pistol, meant for fairly extreme situations and not the range or target pistol a bigger piece might be.
Bet that sharp texture doesn't even register in a defensive encounter.

While the XDs is surely not a "range" gun, I can get about 100 rounds in before I have to stop. I love it though. The grip is very aggressive, but is nice in a gun that size with the .45 round.

My Kriss Vector shoots a 45 with barely any recoil. The laws of physics makes a small, light 45 gun less than a joy to shoot. I want a XDS, but I know I'm not going to like it at the range. I have held one and it doesn't feel like such a much. Everything is a compromise.

I like my XDs as well as my G27,Ill admit its a little thin but shoots good,,the xds pearce pinky extention gives it a better feel.I like carrying both not at the same time but both are nice.

Back
Top Bottom