• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S.C. Introduces Bill to Honor GA CWL

The funny thing about this is that if SC passes this law, they will then have a law in place that makes it harder for their own citizens to carry in the state than for out-of-state citizens.

SC resident = you must pass a safety course (and pay for the course too) before you can carry a gun legally in SC.
GA resident = just have your license and you can carry legally in SC.

If I was a SC resident, I would be PISSED! I would demand that they make the bar the same for me to carry than for out-of-staters. I appreciate this law, as I now have family in SC that I will be visiting occasionally. But it doesn't sound very fair to the SC residents.

He pointed to Myrtle Beach’s Bike Week, which draws thousands of visitors from out of state.
“I worked Bike Week for 20 years,” said Stewart. “The last thing I want on the boulevard in Myrtle Beach is someone that can’t safely fire a firearm (who is) carrying one.”

^^^^^ this describes more cops than citizens
He should be more concerned with the officers he works with.

And what do they draw this conclusion from. I don't have a source (and should probably find one), but I believe I read somewhere that states that have a safety course requirement don't actually have less accidents with firearms compared to states that don't have the requirement. i.e. from a statistical standpoint. Can anyone confirm this?

The funny thing about this is that if SC passes this law, they will then have a law in place that makes it harder for their own citizens to carry in the state than for out-of-state citizens.

SC resident = you must pass a safety course (and pay for the course too) before you can carry a gun legally in SC.

If I was a SC resident, I would be PISSED! I would demand that they make the bar the same for me to carry than for out-of-staters. I appreciate this law, as I now have family in SC that I will be visiting occasionally. But it doesn't sound very fair to the SC residents.

Then the residents should speak up.

Well of course, lol.

For the record, I wasn't saying the law shouldn't be passed because of it. I'm all for it. Just noticed the inconsistency in it.

Like everything else the government does. Its likely about revenue. They are ticked that GA residents don't come to their state and spend money but at the same time they like the "safety" aspect of class requirement for their residents so give exemption to GA residents.

That one cop mentioned Bike week but you get people from all over coming to bike week, not just GA residents. Also with all that goes on there I'm not sure safety class would matter if something was to happen.

Sounds like a perfect argument for a legislator to use against passing the bill to allow GA residents to carry in SC.

Like everything else the government does. Its likely about revenue. They are ticked that GA residents don't come to their state and spend money but at the same time they like the "safety" aspect of class requirement for their residents so give exemption to GA residents.

That one cop mentioned Bike week but you get people from all over coming to bike week, not just GA residents. Also with all that goes on there I'm not sure safety class would matter if something was to happen.

I couldn't agree more with this. I actually hope the SC residents speak up about it. If they pass the law they are stating they are obviously okay with someone carrying a gun without having passed a safety course. The SC residents would definitely have a leg to stand on to fight for their 2A rights.

None of this would matter if congress would do the right thing and pass a national reciprocity law. Our 2nd amendment rights should not be the only rights that change when we cross state lines.

None of this would matter if SCOTUS recognized weapons permits as an infringement to the 2nd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom