• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

S.C. Introduces Bill to Honor GA CWL

The funny thing about this is that if SC passes this law, they will then have a law in place that makes it harder for their own citizens to carry in the state than for out-of-state citizens.

SC resident = you must pass a safety course (and pay for the course too) before you can carry a gun legally in SC.
GA resident = just have your license and you can carry legally in SC.

If I was a SC resident, I would be PISSED! I would demand that they make the bar the same for me to carry than for out-of-staters. I appreciate this law, as I now have family in SC that I will be visiting occasionally. But it doesn't sound very fair to the SC residents.
SC could just issue a non-resident permit with the same requirements as a resident permit

SC could just issue a non-resident permit with the same requirements as a resident permit

Yes they could. But it sounds like their motive here is because they know the states loses a lot of revenue due to GA residents not coming over to their state. If they make the non-resident permit have the same requirements, i.e. take a safety course, then I doubt it will make any difference. GA residents will say "eff that, I'm not taking some stupid safety course just to carry a gun in SC. I'll just stay right here in GA." SC will then see the same loss of revenue that they see now.

None of this would matter if congress would do the right thing and pass a national reciprocity law. Our 2nd amendment rights should not be the only rights that change when we cross state lines.

None of this would matter if SCOTUS recognized weapons permits as an infringement to the 2nd.

You can't have national reciprocity without questioning having a license for your 2nd amendment right. Could there be national reciprocity? Absolutely. It would likely come with a decent amount of required training, eye testing and proficiency testing. You would have to not only know HOW to shoot but WHEN to shoot. Think about driver licensing. You have to know all the different laws. I've seen national reciprocity likened to drivers licenses but your hardcore pro 2A people will say that driving isn't a right its a privilege whereas the right to bear arms is indeed a right. So you have that debate. Even still you would states like NY, NJ, CA that would fight tooth and nail against it because it would open the way for their citizens to be able to carry. So its kinda like a catch 22. Is it worth infringing on the right itself for the good of many? Its certainly a topic that would garner a lot of discussion.

You can't have national reciprocity without questioning having a license for your 2nd amendment right. Could there be national reciprocity? Absolutely. It would likely come with a decent amount of required training, eye testing and proficiency testing. You would have to not only know HOW to shoot but WHEN to shoot. Think about driver licensing. You have to know all the different laws. I've seen national reciprocity likened to drivers licenses but your hardcore pro 2A people will say that driving isn't a right its a privilege whereas the right to bear arms is indeed a right. So you have that debate. Even still you would states like NY, NJ, CA that would fight tooth and nail against it because it would open the way for their citizens to be able to carry. So its kinda like a catch 22. Is it worth infringing on the right itself for the good of many? Its certainly a topic that would garner a lot of discussion.

I will concede the training requirement when we can apply it to voting.

Back
Top Bottom