• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Saddle hunting opinions

blake53690

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
1   0
Reaction score
I'm a blue collar hunter so only times I get to hunt are weekends and when I schedule vacation. I have had successful harvest sitting on ground, sitting in a blind, or out of my climber. I like to be mobile and change hunting locations. I'm contemplating trying to hunt saddle any tips or advice or should just stay with old trusty climber

Taken deer all sorts of ways. Main thing is to just get out there and be where the deer are at. If you're hunting one piece of property, just learn what the deer are doing and when. Simple as that. Generally looking were two different types of land meet together is a good start. Or follow a creek, find where the banks all beat up were they're crossing. A good food source would be another. They'll follow parallel to the creek as well. Georgia has lots of deer. Not too hard to get one. Just pay attention to your surroundings and spend some time in the woods, learn by your mistakes. Won't be long you'll have it figured out

I’ve managed to take a few from a saddle the past two seasons. Just like everything else, there are pros and cons. I myself have found more pros than cons.
What I do like the most about them is that I can get into some trees with a saddle that my Summit climber could not. Best piece of advice I can give is invest in a good pack to carry everything.

Interested in getting into a saddle set up as well. Tried on my buddies Tethrd Phantom XL and liked it. The problem I have is im 6'4" 310 not including any gear so im technically over the weight limit of most manufacturers recommendations. Im trying to find a place that either has demos or is hosting a demo day to try on a Tethrd lockdown or a Cruzer XC before committing to a $800 set up.

I'm a blue collar hunter so only times I get to hunt are weekends and when I schedule vacation. I have had successful harvest sitting on ground, sitting in a blind, or out of my climber. I like to be mobile and change hunting locations. I'm contemplating trying to hunt saddle any tips or advice or should just stay with old trusty climber
Climber.

Go for the saddle. It opens so many doors as far as places to hunt and getting into spots you can't in a climber. I love my cruzr xc. I use it along with xop platform, and xop x2 sticks and a 2 step aider. I easily get 20ft up.

Interested in getting into a saddle set up as well. Tried on my buddies Tethrd Phantom XL and liked it. The problem I have is im 6'4" 310 not including any gear so im technically over the weight limit of most manufacturers recommendations. Im trying to find a place that either has demos or is hosting a demo day to try on a Tethrd lockdown or a Cruzer XC before committing to a $800 set up.
Cruzr will have a booth at gon in July. They also have a booth at nwtf show in Nashville TN coming up in February. If you're close to monroe you can come by the house and give mine a try.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I would stay with a tree climber or try to join a hunt club with a good group of guys.

I have been in a club for 8 years now. Dedicated Box blinds , Buck Huts , Tripod stands , food plots , ladder stands , skinning shed means you spend more time hunting than you do walking looking for a tree to climb. We all have some personal spots where we leave our tree climber in the woods attached to the tree as well.

You will either love it or won’t care for it. I’m typing this as I’m up a tree in my saddle now. There’s definitely a learning curve attached. Like others have said. Pros and cons. I’d definitely recommend waiting till the expo and trying one out in person. And the pack is extremely important as well (like mentioned above ). Be sure to practice from it too, especially if shooting a bow, because ergonomics will be different that a climber.

Back
Top Bottom