Sailing long distance - what wold be a good firearm?

What would you have on a boat, going far?

• Total voters
I'm not sure but I'm thinking there are a lot of international rules about that. Maybe build a compartment to hide it in. And bring a whole lot of flare guns.

Sounds like an awesome trip. Maybe work on your amateur radio license in the meantime not too much work just take a test. Sign up for a coast guard Power Squadron course and get your pilot's license.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

I’ve done a bit of research on this, and the problem is going to be the ports you enter. In the Caribbean, you’ll have to declare the firearm, and then, depending on the country, either take it away while you are there, or seal your locker with tape to make sure it stays on board. The consequences of having the gun found if you don’t declare it can be very harsh. Choose your poison carefully... but +1 on the Just In Case Mossberg Mariner!

Yeah, I hear you. Been doing similar research. There is a fine line when it comes to legality vs. taking a chance. Push comes to shove - firearms don't float.

I grew up around guns, served in 2 different branches of the military (including the Navy), and would feel uncomfortable sailing long distances with no way to protect myself, but as others have said there are many things to consider, not just about the choice of gun, but having to be aware of the laws of the country of each port you visit.

I would not want to get caught with anything in a hidden compartment. I watched the Coast Guard and DEA completely disassemble a small fishing boat because an empty hidden compartment was found during a routine search.

Side note: I was stationed on a couple of ships and while the guns were stored in the ships armory, which was climate controlled, they spent most of their time being carried around topside and I never noticed a lot of corrosion or rust on any metal parts. We had USMC hand-me-down stuff- M14s, 1911s, and Remington 870s, so nothing was stainless or plastic.

Yeah, I hear you. Been doing similar research. There is a fine line when it comes to legality vs. taking a chance. Push comes to shove - firearms don't float.

AR7s are made to float...and it may be a good idea to take one with you. They're cheap, don't take up much space and a bunch of .22 ammo won't weigh much or take up a bunch of space either.

So, I am thinking about doing long distance sailing. Possibly living onboard, and doing lengthy passages across Atlantic. Not going to Somali, or any other **** infested parts of the world. I don't usually look for trouble, but hey - its a good thing to have just in case.

Speaking of legality - a sailing vessel under US flag is technically operated by US laws. But I really need to investigate the laws further. I intend to play by the rules.

So, aside from legality of having a firearm onboard, what would you rather have for personal protection?
FLARE GUNS ARE GOOD FOR CLOSE ENCOUNTERS+ THEY ARE GOOD FOR SAFETY. I WOULD HATE TO GET HIT IN THE BELLY BY ONE,AND THEY ARE LEGAL TO HAVE ONBOARD.
FLAREGUNS
I grew up around guns, served in 2 different branches of the military (including the Navy), and would feel uncomfortable sailing long distances with no way to protect myself, but as others have said there are many things to consider, not just about the choice of gun, but having to be aware of the laws of the country of each port you visit.

I would not want to get caught with anything in a hidden compartment. I watched the Coast Guard and DEA completely disassemble a small fishing boat because an empty hidden compartment was found during a routine search.

Side note: I was stationed on a couple of ships and while the guns were stored in the ships armory, which was climate controlled, they spent most of their time being carried around topside and I never noticed a lot of corrosion or rust on any metal parts. We had USMC hand-me-down stuff- M14s, 1911s, and Remington 870s, so nothing was stainless or plastic.

AR7s are made to float...and it may be a good idea to take one with you. They're cheap, don't take up much space and a bunch of .22 ammo won't weigh much or take up a bunch of space either.

I actually meant that you can throw away the rifle before entering another countries port. Heard of private security guards on big freightliners doing exactly that.

...during a routine search.

Well, what gets you a ticket for a routine search? Coming back to Key West from Cuba I was shocked that no one checked us. No one boarded the vessel. There was a trip to customs day after arrival, and we had to go find the office.

So, how often do these routine checks happen, and how thorough they are? This is more of a rhetorical question, as mentioned above I dont intend to break any laws.

Back
Top Bottom