• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sailing long distance - what wold be a good firearm?

What would you have on a boat, going far?

• Total voters
A lot of drinking on Lanier aboard friends motor boat ))

Number of years sailing on my 27' Catalina on Lanier, which I still own. Some sailing in ICW, some sailing in Mediterranean on Bavaria 32, trip to Cuba and back this summer on Catalina 315.

Not sure why you asked, but I am thinking about buying a larger sailboat and doing more serious sailing.
I have 2 Catalina 27's that I'm parting out,and several other wind fairy boats. Do you need a roller furling that fits a standard rig cat 27? I have one!!! And a treasure trove of misc,sails,rigging,and maybe a few anti-pirate toys you might be interested in. And I'm located very close to Lanier.

Al
I have 2 Catalina 27's that I'm parting out,and several other wind fairy boats. Do you need a roller furling that fits a standard rig cat 27? I have one!!! And a treasure trove of misc,sails,rigging,and maybe a few anti-pirate toys you might be interested in. And I'm located very close to Lanier.

Already have a roller furling. But may be interested in some exterior grab handles, and the side trim pieces. What condition sales do you have?

If you are look at taking it into different countries, I'd stay away from any kind of semi-auto. There are way too many different rules and regulations about calibers, capacity or even legality of those around the world.

I'd stick with something basic, but flexible. Something like an over-under 12ga in stainless. It packs a wallop and is probably legal in more countries than anything else. You have a range of ammo, from down-loaded birdshot to magnum slugs, and you can even shoot flares out of one.

Unlike rifles and pistols, you won't run into the 'it can't use military calibers' problem, and I doubt the 2 round capacity will be a problem anywhere. If you get a good one with ejectors and practice a bot, you can work up a pretty good rate of fire as well.

I would take one of the marine shotguns.

No way would I try to sail outside the US with a military style semi-automatic rifle.

I'm not sure I would sail up either American coast with a military style semi-automatic rifle.

The American registration only protects you in international waters. Once you get within 12 (or 24 miles) of the coast, you are subject to that nation's laws, and that distance includes distances from islands.

Even with shotguns, many countries require them to be permanently plugged to a magazine capacity of 2 - no pencil in the magazine.

maxresdefault.jpg
Missing-in-Action-3.jpg
So, I am thinking about doing long distance sailing. Possibly living onboard, and doing lengthy passages across Atlantic. Not going to Somali, or any other **** infested parts of the world. I don't usually look for trouble, but hey - its a good thing to have just in case.

Speaking of legality - a sailing vessel under US flag is technically operated by US laws. But I really need to investigate the laws further. I intend to play by the rules.

So, aside from legality of having a firearm onboard, what would you rather have for personal protection?
So, I am thinking about doing long distance sailing. Possibly living onboard, and doing lengthy passages across Atlantic. Not going to Somali, or any other **** infested parts of the world. I don't usually look for trouble, but hey - its a good thing to have just in case.

Speaking of legality - a sailing vessel under US flag is technically operated by US laws. But I really need to investigate the laws further. I intend to play by the rules.

So, aside from legality of having a firearm onboard, what would you rather have for personal protection?

A 60 with a grenade launcher
"Don't want to die from lack of shootin back"
Missing-in-Action-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom