• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sailing long distance - what wold be a good firearm?

What would you have on a boat, going far?

• Total voters
Al

Already have a roller furling. But may be interested in some exterior grab handles, and the side trim pieces. What condition sales do you have?
I've only had the boat with the sails in it for about a week and I haven't even opened the bags. I kinda scrap sailboats for a "Profitable Hobby". I'll pm a phone #

So, is there an international standard or treaty in effect among most civilized nations of the world that have ports into which recreational boaters from other nations visit, on the subject of guns?

If there is not a single standard for all, or most, nations, I think this is something the Trump administraition should work on.
He's a deal-maker at his core, right?

That's what we need. A treaty between the USA and just about every other nation in the world that provides for legal and safe gun possession and storage when an American vessel (ship, or private aircraft) enters that other nation.

I'd like such a treaty to say that the gun(s) must stay on the boat or vessel, but can be fully loaded and not locked up or disabled IF an adult member of the crew or traveling party is in actual control of such weapons. Only if you're going to leave your vehicle parked and unattended should you have to lock up your weapon securely before going ashore or leaving the airport.

Interesting point, but I am not very familiar with over/under. What would be a good make/model?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Most over/unders are for hunting or clay shooting, and are probably too 'nice' for a marine environment. Looks like Ruger makes their 'Red Label' gun in stainless with a synthetic stock. The Rugers are fairly expensive though.

You could also probably take any O/U or side by side and simply Cerakote it.

I came across an o/u Stoeger Condor Outback that looked interesting. Will probably be the most pc firearm to have. But I can't help to think that it wont do much against a few bad dudes armed with AK's.

But I can't help to think that it wont do much against a few bad dudes armed with AK's.

And you think an AR-15 would?

Biggest problem with a boat is that as soon as any adversary starts punching holes in it, you are going to have a problem that no amount of armament is going to address.

You would be surprised how much water can come through a single .22 caliber hole (don't ask how I know).

You would be surprised how much water can come through a single .22 caliber hole (don't ask how I know).

Sounds like a good story. Please do tell ))

My thinking is that unless the seas are perfectly calm it is pretty hard to aim. 30+ footer will be all over the place even with small waves. So a "spray and pray" approach will be more to be a deterrent vs. being a passive victim.

All this is pretty unlikely, but there are a few stories on sailing forums about piracy happening much closer than you would think. Either way, alot of this is hypothetical scenarios.

My thinking is that unless the seas are perfectly calm it is pretty hard to aim. 30+ footer will be all over the place even with small waves. So a "spray and pray" approach will be more to be a deterrent vs. being a passive victim.

I agree. That's why I think a pump shotgun loaded with buckshot and slugs is the prime anti-personnel weapon on a boat.

Back
Top Bottom