• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Salavage to Rebuilt Titles Question

I've seen late model trucks go through the insurance auction and still bring $5K and up. I'm talking about trucks that had been roll over and T boned where you couldn't see any reusable body parts.
LKQ is one of the biggest buyers and a few years ago they were buying existing salvage yards. They make big money on truck engines and transmissions. At the same time they're cheaper than most of the competition on luxury brand drivetrains like BMW,Volvo,Jag etc. They figured out that guys need their trucks fixed ASAP a d WILL pay. They blow out the European brands because it tends to sit and collect dust.

not to get off topic (but it's the ODT way), but LKQ bought out our local "automobile recycling facility" and I have to say, their service is outstanding. On major parts like engines, rear ends and transmissions, they search their entire network, base the price on the no. of miles, and ship it in if necessary on their dime.

I bought a rearend from them, had to be a specific ratio for 4 WD. They found it, brought it in from out of town and delivered to my mechanic at no charge to me other than the part.

I didn't want LS differential, but turns out that what the rearend had, and they gave it to me at no extra charge.

I got nothing at all to say bad about them.

not to get off topic (but it's the ODT way), but LKQ bought out our local "automobile recycling facility" and I have to say, their service is outstanding. On major parts like engines, rear ends and transmissions, they search their entire network, base the price on the no. of miles, and ship it in if necessary on their dime.

I bought a rearend from them, had to be a specific ratio for 4 WD. They found it, brought it in from out of town and delivered to my mechanic at no charge to me other than the part.

I didn't want LS differential, but turns out that what the rearend had, and they gave it to me at no extra charge.

I got nothing at all to say bad about them.
In 2010 while at the junkyard we ordered an engine for an 01 Volvo S80 from LKQ. When it got to us it was complete with all the bolt on parts like alternator and A/C comp. They even left both turbos on it. It had been pressure washed had all hoses and intake blocked off with plastic plugs and was steel banded to a wood palate. It was almost like getting a new one. Can't remember how much it was but it was way cheaper than anyone else.

When the ins co pays the owner for a totaled car , the title bets branded "salvage "

After The car is repaired , depending on how much damage existed , the new title might say "rebuilt " or it might not say anything if the damage was not major .
That's why the state requires all the "before" pictures

The accident and total loss and salvage title will still show up on the carfax report

If you have a on older vehicle that gets slightly damaged and you want to keep it , do NOT let the ins co declare it a total loss and knock off some $$ to let you keep it

Just ask the ins co what's the most they can pay for repairs without causing a total loss situation

It's usually about the same money , but instead of selling the car back to you ,they just don't total it and don't take the title

Used to be anyone could repair the totaled cars

But when the car dealers bribed the state legislature to cause everyone to have to pay sales tax on private individual sales , they also bribed the state into requiring you to be a licensed rebuilder to even submit the paperwork to have the car inspected

I did a couple of cars a few years ago for my personal use and it was pretty painless , fill out the application , send it in with pictures and receipts for the repair parts and haul it to the inspection station

There were lots of cars getting passed with no glass except the windshield

It was a pretty tough inspection , they checked everything
Couple people didn't pass because a brake light or marker light was out or the horn didn't work

crazy, most states you can get a tag for a salvage title. I had never heard of a rebuilt title before I moved here.

I know someone who moved here from New Mexico with a salvage titled vehicle. When they changed it to a Georgia title the "Salvage" was no longer on the title, nor did it say rebuilt. It was just a normal title.

Funny story,

My dad had a Subaru years ago that was in a wreck and totalled. He fixed it, got a salvage title and drove it another 8 years before he was hit again, again totalling the vehicle. He bought it back a second time and when they "Salvaged" the salvage title he was given a normal title. We fixed it again and I drove it for a few years before it finally blew up and I paid someone to haul it away.

its called title washing. soon to be a lot of people driving around
georgia in texas flood cars totally unaware

its called title washing. soon to be a lot of people driving around
georgia in texas flood cars totally unaware

Anyone stupid enough to buy a car that was registered in Harris county TX in 2017 , well , you can't fix stupid

All you gotta do is run the carfax to see where it was registered and when

Plus all the late model cars have so much electronic junk on em I don't think any late model car would even crank after it got flooded

[QUOTE="mr.biglesworth, e
I purchased a car from copart to fix up my car when I saw some really nice cars. It wasnt to resell it was for me to drive. If im going to be paying the taxes and fees I dont think there will be much profit in a resale even in a rebuilt title unless its a very expensive vehicle. i think and if allowed reselling parts alone could be worth more than fixing and reselling a car. Given space and time. I do understand people are hesitant to buy salvage and rebuilt title cars. I wouldn't even buy them myself, unless it was for parts.

My experience with Copart was decent. I think i paid $900 for a car but it ended up being about $1500 after fees and transportation costs. The part i needed was worth $800 alone.[/QUOTE]

did they make you have to tow the vehicle home with a roll back?
i heard you cant use your own tow dolly or trailer. i also heard
you have to use one of their tow trucks.

the fees suck unless you're a dealer

A new car at a dealer that has a MSO and has never been issued a title will not show up on Carfax.

Hmm

I still don't see any late mode car cranking up after a flood with all the computers

But ya never know

I figured the dealers would cash in on the insurance anyway
Probably get sticker price which would be more than they could sell the car for anyway

Most of the Vehicles I think you will need to tow.
YOu can use any driver. Guy off Craigslist, Rented Dolly or trailer, Tow Truck.
They have a huge backhoe or forklift loader and they will put it on the trailer for you.
WHat i know you cant use is your AAA policy and try to use one of your 3 yearly tows

Most of the Vehicles I think you will need to tow.
YOu can use any driver. Guy off Craigslist, Rented Dolly or trailer, Tow Truck.
They have a huge backhoe or forklift loader and they will put it on the trailer for you.
WHat i know you cant use is your AAA policy and try to use one of your 3 yearly tows

did you have to pay the 200 dollar registration fee to be eligible to bid?

Back
Top Bottom