• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Saudi Terriost Purchased Glock Legally

I'm extremely doubtful you can go to almost any First World world country and buy a gun. Heck, their own citizens can't buy a gun in places the the UK.

Buying a gun is relatively easy in the UK.

Still a lot of hunting, target shooting (especially clays), pest control.

It's what guns you can buy that is the big problem.

Same with France. Buying a long gun is not that big a deal.

From "How to buy a gun in 16 countries"

Britain
1) Join a shooting club, or document hunting arrangements.
2) Ask for a character reference.
3) Arrange proper firearm storage.
4) Pass a background check that includes a police interview at your home. Your storage arrangements may be checked.
5) Buy a gun.

I couldn't find anything that specifically prohibits a foreign visitor from buying a gun in the UK, but you do have to show the police when interviewed that you have a legitimate need for a firearm... which might be tough if you are just visiting.

From "How to buy a gun in 16 countries"

Britain
1) Join a shooting club, or document hunting arrangements.
2) Ask for a character reference.
3) Arrange proper firearm storage.
4) Pass a background check that includes a police interview at your home. Your storage arrangements may be checked.
5) Buy a gun.

I couldn't find anything that specifically prohibits a foreign visitor from buying a gun in the UK, but you do have to show the police when interviewed that you have a legitimate need for a firearm... which might be tough if you are just visiting.

Hunting or participating in a shooting event ( or just shooting clays at a club) are legitimate needs. If you are going on a packaged hunt or shoot at a club, the facilities will have storage facilities that meet the police standards. Many members store their guns at the club to avoid having to transport them. Their sporting clubs are akin to our golf clubs, usually a grill, bar, and an attendant to clean and store you gun.

Where the visitor applies to acquire a shotgun while in the UK, the visitor’s shotgun permits will contain calibre-specific authorities to allow the acquisition of shotguns. No shotgun may be acquired without prior authority. The following procedures apply;

• Section 32 requires the transferee (permit holder) to produce their permit in order to purchase or acquire a shotgun from the transferor (a firearms dealer or the holder of a shotgun certificate, temporary permit or another visitor’s shotgun permit).
  • The transferor must enter the details of the shotgun purchased or acquired by the visitor onto Part 3 of their visitor’s permit.
  • The transferee (permit holder) must notify the transaction within seven days* to the police licensing department who issued their permit.
  • The final handover of the shotgun must be in person i.e. face to face.
  • Visitor’s shotgun permits allow the holder to acquire/purchase etc shotgun cartridges without holding a shotgun certificate.

Hunting or participating in a shooting event ( or just shooting clays at a club) are legitimate needs. If you are going on a packaged hunt or shoot at a club, the facilities will have storage facilities that meet the police standards. Many members store their guns at the club to avoid having to transport them. Their sporting clubs are akin to our golf clubs, usually a grill, bar, and an attendant to clean and store you gun.

I agree that bringing a gun, or borrowing a gun is well established between most first world countries, and the UK wouldn't be a big issue so long as it was an allowed firearm type. I seem to remember that when they had the Olympics there all the pistols (and maybe rifles too) had to be stored at a military barracks.

What I'm saying is that it's probably pretty hard to actually buy a gun in the UK as a non-citizen on a short-term trip.

Maybe if you were on a long term visa, or had property and were a resident. But just showing up for a couple of weeks and trying to get a gun... no way can I see that happening.

Back
Top Bottom