• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Save my brass / Trade it in? 9mm.

vinhtvu2

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been wanting to get into reloading for a while, but haven't. I've been saving my brass though.

I heard 9mm is not worth reloading?? Well, I have 13 pounds of 9mm brass. What's the going price for 9mm casing?

Freedom Munition is offering $2.50 a pound... but you have to eat shipping and ship it to them. Shipping will be like $15... so I'd only make $15 worth of credit to ship it to them. Worth it or save it? Or sell it to someone locally who reload?

I'm okay with the price of 9mm now at 17-20 cents a round. If it go up more, I'd probably consider reloading quicker.

I reload 9mm, and I feel it's totally worth it. you can get crap russian ammo for $8-9 bucks a box if you're lucky. I'm loading ammo that's designed for my pistol with better quality control and customer service for $5 a box. Sure its just a few bucks, but the quality you can load is what makes it great too.

To me, the answer lies in two factors, neither of which is monetary: Do you shoot a lot? Do you think you would enjoy reloading? If you answer yes to both, then it's probably going to be worth it for you.

I'll add a third aspect to the two above. Do you want better ammo than you buy at the store? I load 9mm, If I could, I'd load 22 rimfire. I'm in total control of every round that I load. Store bought ammo, well you're hoping it's good stuff!

I'll add a third aspect to the two above. Do you want better ammo than you buy at the store? I load 9mm, If I could, I'd load 22 rimfire. I'm in total control of every round that I load. Store bought ammo, well you're hoping it's good stuff!

This is true as well. The .38 SPL stuff I load if far more accurate than anything I have ever bought. Like 1" groups at 30 feet even when not shooting from a rest.

Ahhh, gotcha.

Starting off, how much ammo would I be able to reload?? I guess that really depends on your equipment?

I dont want to spend 2 days out of the week reloading. I dont shoot that much yet. Probably about a thousand round every other month.

I used to be able to load about 150 rounds of .38 an hour on a 4-die Lee Classic turret press. I've done 200 in an hour once or twice, but I'm a little rusty at the moment...maybe 100 an hour tops right now. That's considering 4 pulls of the press per round. When I was in full swing...I'd shoot 150-200 rounds every Saturday...and sometimes that much on Sunday.

Now I have friends who have progressive loading rigs that can churn out close to 1000 rounds an hour - but they are competitive shooters and run through ammo 4X as fast as I ever did. With a progressive rig...after the first 3-4 pulls, each pull equals one finished round. I wouldn't recommend starting on a progressive rig...they're a little complicated if you go whole hog with bullet feeders, primer feeders, shell feeders, etc. I guess I like paying a little more attention to each round so I know everything was done exactly as intended.

Last edited:
I used to be able to load about 150 rounds of .38 an hour on a 4-die Lee Classic turret press. I've done 200 in an hour once or twice, but I'm a little rusty at the moment...maybe 100 an hour tops right now. That's considering 4 pulls of the press per round. When I was in full swing...I'd shoot 150-200 rounds every Saturday...and sometimes that much on Sunday.

Now I have friends who have progressive loading rigs that can churn out close to 1000 rounds an hour - but they are competitive shooters and run through ammo 4X as fast as I ever did. With a progressive rig...after the first 3-4 pulls, each pull equals one finished round. I wouldn't recommend starting on a progressive rig...they're a little complicated if you go whole hog with bullet feeders, primer feeders, shell feeders, etc. I guess I like paying a little more attention to each round so I know everything was done exactly as intended.

Good advice there ... and the Lee Classic Turrent is a great 1st Press as well as a "Keeper".
I have a Hornady LNL AP that will chug them out, but it is a "handfull" getting properly set-up and
working. As for the brass that you have. You can keep it and wait or consider selling it. The last
range brass that I bought was $18 per thousand FTF. If you counted out a thousand pieces and add about 20 to
make certain that you don't short-change anyone, weight it inside a gallon zip-lock bag. Then you would
have the proper weight to "bag" all of your brass for subsequent sales. The USPS Priority Large Square Box would
easily hold 2-3 bags and would ship for around $15 (check on-line for the exact cost). Then you could post a sale here on
ODT ... 1,000 for $35, 2,000 for $55, 3,000 for $70 etc. .... Shipped.

Why so cheap? Look here to find what you pay for processed 9mm Brass!

http://www.firstclassbulletsandbras...mOtal3mdUlxJCktdbAfZhCdN71IT&shop_param=cid=&

Good Luck!

BTW: Make certain that the stuff you send people is "reloadable" BOXER - One Hole (not Berdan - Two Hole) primed, brass (not aluminum or steel)

Last edited:
Good advice there ... and the Lee Classic Turret is a great 1st Press as well as a "Keeper".

I've probably run close to 10K rounds through my Lee Turret and the only dies I have for it. If you pay the little extra money for carbide dies, they really don't wear out. The turret head will probably wear out before the dies.

I've probably run close to 10K rounds through my Lee Turret and the only dies I have for it. If you pay the little extra money for carbide dies, they really don't wear out. The turret head will probably wear out before the dies.

100%! Carbide in Lee Dies is what I mostly use for sll of my pistol loads, and wish that they were available for .223 and .308!

I still have my Classic Turrent and use it almost every day!

Back
Top Bottom