• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Save my brass / Trade it in? 9mm.

Good advice there ... and the Lee Classic Turrent is a great 1st Press as well as a "Keeper".
I have a Hornady LNL AP that will chug them out, but it is a "handfull" getting properly set-up and
working. As for the brass that you have. You can keep it and wait or consider selling it. The last
range brass that I bought was $18 per thousand FTF. If you counted out a thousand pieces and add about 20 to
make certain that you don't short-change anyone, weight it inside a gallon zip-lock bag. Then you would
have the proper weight to "bag" all of your brass for subsequent sales. The USPS Priority Large Square Box would
easily hold 2-3 bags and would ship for around $15 (check on-line for the exact cost). Then you could post a sale here on
ODT ... 1,000 for $35, 2,000 for $55, 3,000 for $70 etc. .... Shipped.

Why so cheap? Look here to find what you pay for processed 9mm Brass!

http://www.firstclassbulletsandbras...mOtal3mdUlxJCktdbAfZhCdN71IT&shop_param=cid=&

Good Luck!

BTW: Make certain that the stuff you send people is "reloadable" BOXER - One Hole (not Berdan - Two Hole) primed, brass (not aluminum or steel)

Maybe I'm playing the buzz kill, but for a new reloader, IMHO, a progressive press might be a little too much. I think that it is very important for new reloaders to follow step by step the reloading process on a sigle stage press before "graduating" to a progressive. I just feel that loading on a single stage makes you more aware of what you are doing and allows you to more easily see when things don't work and why they don't(ie; berdan primed cases, mis adjusted dies etc.). Maybe I'm just old school.

Maybe I'm playing the buzz kill, but for a new reloader, IMHO, a progressive press might be a little too much. I think that it is very important for new reloaders to follow step by step the reloading process on a sigle stage press before "graduating" to a progressive. I just feel that loading on a single stage makes you more aware of what you are doing and allows you to more easily see when things don't work and why they don't(ie; berdan primed cases, mis adjusted dies etc.). Maybe I'm just old school.

The nice thing about the Lee Classic Turrent is that it can be used as a single stage press by simply removing the small rod that actuates the progression (about a 1 minute job to take out / put back in). Back-in the actuating rod provides you with progression of single-station loads; one-after-the-other where you can easily see what's going on and easily control quality (It is truly a "progressive" press in that only the actual loading station is "active" per pull of the handle). The true utility of the press is the turrent itself: set-up your dies ONCE on a removable turrent and only ajust for seating depth / powder changes!

Take a look at the YouTube sessions on it ...

The nice thing about the Lee Classic Turrent is that it can be used as a single stage press by simply removing the small rod that actuates the progression (about a 1 minute job to take out / put back in). Back-in the actuating rod provides you with progression of single-station loads; one-after-the-other where you can easily see what's going on and easily control quality (It is truly a "progressive" press in that only the actual loading station is "active" per pull of the handle). The true utility of the press is the turrent itself: set-up your dies ONCE on a removable turrent and only ajust for seating depth / powder changes!

Take a look at the YouTube sessions on it ...

Absolutely, you are 100% correct, but as I said I'm old school. To me it's kinda like comparing a car to a racecar. You should learn to drive the car first before the racecar, but if that puppy is in the driveway your gonna want to take it for a spin before you can operate it fully. Just one mans opinion. Everyone learns differently.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and find more people in the area that reloads, and see if I can learn from one of them first to start out with.

I watched my Dad and had a neighbor who reloaded shotgun that I watched while I was still in single digits. I learned a lot on a single stage press. You can make it easier on yourself and not so much as a chore by spreading the work out.

I had an early tumbler years ago, load it up and go do other stuff, hours later returned and sifted out the brass from the media and tossed it into coffee cans for use later.

I set the depriming/re-sizing dies and go through 500-1000 brass or so tossing them into a coffee can for use later. Later I would grab a coffee can and a brick of primers and set back with a hand primer in hand an empty coffee can on my right and a full can of de-primed brass on the left and watch the tube while filling the can on the right with primed/sized brass.

When time allowed, I'd set up my loading blocks weight every charge or if my powder dispenser would accurately dose the right amount of powder without spitting all over my table would use it to quickly fill the cases with the prescribed dose of powder. Then set up the press to seat the bullets then lastly apply my crimp if crimping was needed.

Spreading the workload out like that made it less than a burden and allowed me more time to scrutinize my process and cull anything that didn't look right. Get the basics down and speed will come with experience but it is not the goal. Most reloading errors and in general are from folks rushing themselves. Reloading is not an activity to be rushed.

Chuckdog pointed out that the NRA offers reloading classes in most locales, he also mentioned before that watching someone with bad habits is not to one's benefit. I agree but watching the basics after reading about it in a good reference make it congeal better and the training objective better met. Hanging around other reloaders through the years and shooting with them allowed their years of experience and wisdom to filter in my head. With the web, that process has evolved into a nearly instant resource of knowledge base but of course with some occasional difference of opinions.

The ODT reloading section has some wise, perhaps a bit crusty old reloaders that have a lifetime of experience and knowledge to impart on those willing to listen and I'm thankful for that.

Last edited:
I watched my Dad and had a neighbor who reloaded shotgun that I watched while I was still in single digits. I learned a lot on a single stage press. You can make it easier on yourself and not so much as a chore by spreading the work out.

I had an early tumbler years ago, load it up and go do other stuff, hours later returned and sifted out the brass from the media and tossed it into coffee cans for use later.

I set the depriming/re-sizing dies and go through 500-1000 brass or so tossing them into a coffee can for use later. Later I would grab a coffee can and a brick of primers and set back with a hand primer in hand an empty coffee can on my right and a full can of de-primed brass on the left and watch the tube while filling the can on the right with primed/sized brass.

When time allowed, I'd set up my loading blocks weight every charge or if my powder dispenser would accurately dose the right amount of powder without spitting all over my table would use it to quickly fill the cases with the prescribed dose of powder. Then set up the press to seat the bullets then lastly apply my crimp if crimping was needed.

Spreading the workload out like that made it less than a burden and allowed me more time to scrutinize my process and cull anything that didn't look right. Get the basics down and speed will come with experience but it is not the goal. Most reloading errors and in general are from folks rushing themselves. Reloading is not an activity to be rushed.

Chuckdog pointed out that the NRA offers reloading classes in most locales, he also mentioned before that watching someone with bad habits is not to one's benefit. I agree but watching the basics after reading about it in a good reference make it congeal better and the training objective better met. Hanging around other reloaders through the years and shooting with them allowed their years of experience and wisdom to filter in my head. With the web, that process has evolved into a nearly instant resource of knowledge base but of course with some occasional difference of opinions.

The ODT reloading section has some wise, perhaps a bit crusty old reloaders that have a lifetime of experience and knowledge to impart on those willing to listen and I'm thankful for that.

Good advice ... I did pretty much the same after using a Lee Loader for a year or so ...

Save it an reload it. There are savings to be had with loading 9mm. It is true however the bigger savings are with the bigger rounds.

Back
Top Bottom