• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Saying Goodbye to my Beloved Labrador

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Anyone ever having a dog will relate to the profound sadness associated with saying goodbye to them.
Today, we are having to euthanize our wonderful, loving 12 year old dog A-Rod. We "Puppy Raised" him for Canine Companions For Independence.
He was destined to become a Service Dog with a life dedicated to helping the disabled.

Instead, he flunked his final physical and became ours to keep. His name came from the sponsor who donated the money for CCI to obtain and train him
He was diagnosed early on with a slight Hip-Dysplasia, which isn't the reason for putting him down. He has a neurological problem that has literally withered away his
legs ... and appears to be associated with the failure of other functions as well. He has been under constant care of a Vet, but time was never on his side.
We are no longer prolonging life, just prolonging suffering.

Many people will claim that a dog has no soul ... I would have to strongly disagree. He is certainly a gift from God, and has been a wonderful companion and friend for
much too short of a time.

For those who have know the love and companionship of a good dog, please join me in a prayer for his gentle passing of his spirit into the loving hands of our Lord
who I hope will keep him until I can join him again later.

Goodbye my wonderful old friend A-Rod. Until we can meet again, you will be missed by many. and most profoundly by me!

Earl Clark - Cumming, GA

UPDATE:

Thanks to all of you for the condolences and sharing of your own stories about the wonderful dogs and other pets in your families.
While we are still processing through the trauma of the loss of a loving member of our family,
we also want to share some information that could possibly lessen the stress that others may
experience when facing the loss of the animal members of their family.

Obviously, there are other options for doing this, as well as opinions as to how it should be done.
While this is how we did it, I respect the decision(s) each has to make at a time like this.

We live in Cumming, GA and although we have a terrific veterinarian in Dr. Fitzsimons at The Cumming Veterinary Clinic,
we chose to have the euthanasia performed at our home rather than put A-Rod through the stress of being transported to
the vet. We wanted him to be with us at home, peaceful and calm when he passed away. We used the services of a mobile vet service
(Mobile Animal Care Clinic / Dr. Rob Sanfilippo) who came to our home and performed the service in a truly caring and totally professional manner. A-Rod simply went to sleep and quietly passed away peacefully within minutes. At my age, combined with the stress I was / am still under over the loss, I couldn't go through digging a hole and burying a 65 pound animal that I love so dearly. They transported his remains to our vet, who is having them picked up by a crematory service who will return the ashes to us.

Your support and comments are certainly appreciated,
May God Bless All of You and Your Families that include Dogs and other Pets

Last edited:
Buddy, so sorry to hear this. I had to do it 4 years ago and it still gets to me. Here is something that helps me.

Rainbow_Bridge.jpg

My Deepest Condolences...

Its funny how they work into your life, your heart and your wallet.

For they love us unconditionally, they must have a soul and are treasures from God.
They watch over us, guard us and love us their whole lives.

God Bless you and your departed friend and may he keep you both.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know he will most certainly leave a huge hole in your life. They always do.

I was blessed in that my Mini Dachsund and English Bully both went peacefully on their own time. Neither suffered and both had full, long lives. I lost my English Bully a little over a year ago, and I still see her in her room occasionally.

Cherish the memories you're loyal companion gave you. RIP A-Rod!

Back
Top Bottom