• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Saying Goodbye to my Beloved Labrador

My resue , Dixie is a Lab . She was born with weak hipps and could not hunt or work , but my wife and I love her so . She has her own bed in our room . I mad her promis to live for ever . A Rod will be waiting on the over side with that wag and smile that forged a bond that few can understand . If did not hurd that would be sad . He would not want you to alone..

I had to put down my yellow lab December of 12, he was almost 13. I'm not even going to lie I cried like a baby! It was hands down one of the hardest decisions of my life, all you can do is give them a great life while they are here...sorry for your loss man.

I, too, know the pain and words are of little help. When I am missing my old lab, I think of Lord Byron's ode to a dog:

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
MAXn some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies.

I also like Will Rogers (I think) "If dogs aren't allowed in heaven, I want to go where they are"

Been there a couple of times. Pepper and Scout both rest peacefully in my backyard. I currently have five, (yes 5) rescues. The oldest is a 14 yr old Black lab/Goldie mix and the youngest is a 45lb mutt that was running the neighborhood. Saying goodbye never gets easier, but the joy they bring far outweighs the pain of their passing.

tears can't bring em back but i am shedding a few. My little one is 15 and sticking it out somehow. I wish you the best. Nothing can comfort you enough when you experience the passing of a good 4 legged friend.......So Sorry!

There comes a time that you have to let them go. Ive had to a few times. Its tough, but the joy those labs brought me and the family, I wouldn't trade for anything. I am sorry for your loss sir. Rest in peace buddy.

Back
Top Bottom