• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scared for my family...almost did something stupid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
had one one time weaving over at us laughing. just trying to be a smart a$$. my uncle reached in the dash got a 357 and pointed at his front tire. he backed off got in his lane and started driving kike he had a little bit of sence. lol

That can get you arrested in a big hurry. Damn stupid thing to do.

Good thread.
Thanks for sharing.
Hopefully we can all learn a lesson and gain experience from your encounter.
Happy New Year!

Along with what others have said, you need to remember that a car or SUV will lose EVERY TIME to an 80,000 lb. 75 ft. long tractor-trailer.....EVERY TIME!!!

Along with what others have said, you need to remember that a car or SUV will lose EVERY TIME to an 80,000 lb. 75 ft. long tractor-trailer.....EVERY TIME!!!

indeed, the 18 wheelers rule the road, trucks/vans come in second, cars come in third, and motorcycles come in fourth.
personally i give more then enough distance to motorcycles but there are alot of crazy drivers out there that drive all vehicles badly. i drive with the thought that everybody wants to hit me so I'm extra careful

Last edited:
We drove up to the Knoxville area today on I75. About exit 68 in TN, I was on cruise control set at 78mph. There was a DSF Industries truck in the slow lane as we were approaching the on ramp.

Evidently, I didn't pass him quickly enough to get over for the on ramp vehicles so he acted like he was going to come over on us while laying on his horn. I sped up to get out of the way, and he sped up to get inches away from my van (wife, 5yr old son, and 3 month old in the back) and continue to lay on his horn.

He used no signal to get over, waited until the last minute, and then acted like a jackass nearly running us off the road and scaring my family to tears.

Of course my adrenaline is shot through the roof by now, so I reach for my db9 in the console and lay it on my lap. I then get over and wave him to exit. When he doesn't I get back on and continue driving. HOWEVER...he slowed and waited on us to pass again. HE then repeated his riding my tail and horn deal. I called TN State troopers and reported it as he passed me video-ing my van??!!

I haven't wanted to hurt someone that bad in a very long time! I am, however, curious to why he would video us? I'm also glad he didn't pull off though. I'm sure someone (could've been me) would have been shot.

Moral of the story... let it go! For the safety of your family. Hope y'all have a happy New Year! God bless.

You lost me at "I reached for my DB9....". What for?

Keep in mind this means no disrespect, just my opinion.

As a class A driver myself I've seen a lot of these situations.

If I'm Reading your first post right, both you and the truck were on the interstate approaching an exit/on ramp. You were behind him up to this point and passed him or attempted to pass him as you both passed the on ramp which did have traffic about to merge. When you attempted to pass him at this point, you blocked his "way out".

As class a drivers, when we approach an occupied on ramp while in the "slow lane", we look for a "way out". A clearing in the other lane for us to exit the lane traffic is entering safely. We look for the opening, look forward to check distance to a potential wreck with inbound traffic, and look again as we begin our "way out".

What I gather from your post is you cut off his way out as you attempted to pass him slowly. Thus creating a potentially, very dangerous situation for him. The reason it is dangerous for him, as well as you, is, most on ramps cannot be seen up to the point we have to look for that "way out". Giving him very little time to maneuver safely for him and you. He has 80,000 pounds of death causing wieght in his control. He knows he cannot stop in time to keep from hitting the incoming traffic or locking his truck up and possibly turning it over and causing a real mess out of the cars behind and possibly beside him, which would have included you. When we have to find a way out, it is very quick, and always "last minute". Last seconds actually. and always to keep from having a very bad accident. and we don't always remember a turn signal just as when you see potential death and your adrenaline flows you may forget a small detail.

His "way out" is to avoid the 2 scenarios above. It sounds as if he found his "way out" and began to take it (started coming over into your lane) and then found you in it, and layed on the horn to let you know YOU MESSED UP.

I'm sorry if it does offend you as it's not meant to, but this is what I make of your post up to this point.

Now after this point, the actions of both him and you are wrong. Him for following you to closely and intimidating you and the rest of it. And you for having your family with you trying to get him to exit and stop for you two to have it out. Your family doesn't need to witness this. your in a much more faster and maneuverable vehicle. Speed up and get your family safely away from the danger or change lanes quickly and safely and drop behind and back way off.

And no, I'm not just sticking up for another trucker. I'm just trying to give you that drivers perspective and my view as class A driver simply on the way your post reads.

And the video camera thing, lots of us have dash cams now to record everything. If you cutting off his way out would've caused him to wreck and kill someone, his camera could of proved there was nothing he could do to avoid the wreck that could cost him his license and lively hood along with living with the fact he killed someone.

Last edited:
Truck Drivers are not what they used to be. He was probably all jacked up on road dope. Best thing to do is just pull off the interstate for a little while cool down and give him time to move on down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom