School me on LPVO scopes

Edog537

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
111   0
Reaction score
I have always ran a simple dot on my AR. I have no delusions that I am an “operator” or whatever. But I am thinking about getting a 6.5 Grendel upper to be a companion to my Howa Mini and CVA pistol. I like a clean reticle. Maybe BDC or illuminated dot, 1-4 or 1-6 is good. I am not a wanna be sniper. I have been looking around and most of the units I see are piled up with a bunch of gimmicky crap in a 30mm tube that weighs more than my 7 year old. When I regain my physical abilities, I will once again enjoy some woods stalking. Keep it light. I have no delusions of going to the Boogaloo with this combo so price range is $200.00 - $400.00 - glass quality and durability trump “features”

I guess we will direct the first comments on your last comment of "glass quality and durability trump features." For a budget of $200 - $400, you aren't getting good class quality as defined with a number of metrics. Edge distortion is usually pretty severe from the communist offerings as well. You definitely are not getting durability. You are getting Chineseum. Erectors are polymer, not metal. They may be fine for a bit, but start knocking them around over time and they will fail. Lowest end of what I'd be looking at is a Steiner P4xi. Yes, it's above your pricepoint, but not by much. Euro optic has been running a deal on them for $500. Next in line would probably be a used PST Gen 2 1-6. Used price right around $400.

BDC is a perfect example of gimmicky crap. What other "gimmicky crap" are you trying to stay away from?

LPVO reticles can be tricky to design given the magnification multiplier. You need something useful on both ends of the mag range. On a FFP, make the reticle too fine for top end clarity and unobstructed view, it is useless on the low end (can't see it). And vice versa. Easier to make a usable SFT reticle, but ranging has to be done on one power, usually max magnification.

Also, quality scopes tend to weigh more than their cheap counterparts. Part of what makes them durable.

I agree with reserviordawg if you can get to the $600 mark you’ll be looking much better. The SWFA 1-4 can be had for $400 and then there’s the strike Eagle 1-6. If you could bump up I would go with a PST GEN II 1-6.

If you’re stuck at under $400 the sig MSR 1-6 is pretty cool. The reticle and glass is decent for $300 scope.

How far are really looking to make contact? I have lvpos and I love them, but recently, I have been introduced to Primary Arms 3 and 5x prism scopes. I was impressed at their durability and capability. And if you are wanting to keep it light…thats a contender.

I had a Burris Tac 30 (1-4x24) that I loved but let it go in a trade like a fool. I’ve wanted one again for a while but since they’re discontinued, they’re hard to find. I just picked up a used Nikon Blackforce 1000 with mount for $250. It’s on par with the Burris. One thing is for sure after shopping for them, if you have old eyes like me, you’ll want a SFP reticle as opposed to the FFP. The second focal plane reticle stays the same size regardless of magnification rather than shrinking like a first focal plane unit. If you have young, good eyes, the FFP unit’s reticle doesn’t block as much of your target and is more “precise”, so to speak.

I have always ran a simple dot on my AR. I have no delusions that I am an “operator” or whatever. But I am thinking about getting a 6.5 Grendel upper to be a companion to my Howa Mini and CVA pistol. I like a clean reticle. Maybe BDC or illuminated dot, 1-4 or 1-6 is good. I am not a wanna be sniper. I have been looking around and most of the units I see are piled up with a bunch of gimmicky crap in a 30mm tube that weighs more than my 7 year old. When I regain my physical abilities, I will once again enjoy some woods stalking. Keep it light. I have no delusions of going to the Boogaloo with this combo so price range is $200.00 - $400.00 - glass quality and durability trump “features”
I was just coming here for some LPVO opinions. My price range is about the same. I was considering the Vortex or the Primary Arms.

Is FFP and SFP basically a preference deal?

If I was going to use for target shooting and maybe some hunting too would you get the 1x6 or go ahead and get the 1x8

Thanks for the help guys.

I was just coming here for some LPVO opinions. My price range is about the same. I was considering the Vortex or the Primary Arms.

Is FFP and SFP basically a preference deal?

If I was going to use for target shooting and maybe some hunting too would you get the 1x6 or go ahead and get the 1x8

Thanks for the help guys.
The FFP and SFP is a huge deal for me but did not realize how much until I handled and sighted both. I prefer the 1-4x24 but that because mine is primarily 100 yard or less self defense set up. The higher magnification stretches you out further but the price for that magnification is reduced field of view and usefulness of the reticle. 1-6x24 would probably be my max but having said that, you need to put your hands on (and eyes on) to see what works for you specifically. There’s a huge difference in quality and functionality out there among similarly priced LPVO’s

How far are really looking to make contact? I have lvpos and I love them, but recently, I have been introduced to Primary Arms 3 and 5x prism scopes. I was impressed at their durability and capability. And if you are wanting to keep it light…thats a contender.
200 yards max. If I have a chance to shoot farther than that I bring a “hunting” rifle.

Back
Top Bottom