• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on moving/furniture storage

So it looks like the hacienda is going to sell. And we don't have a new place yet, so we'll need our stuff moved out and stored.

Firearms are stored at a buddy's place.

Any recommendations, lessons learned, or businesses to avoid? It's been 22 years since we last moved and had so little stuff at the time...

Appreciate all input.
Get rid of everything you can. Moving sucks. It sucks worse when you schlep unused crap to another house.

Find climate-controlled storage. Usually you can get 1st month free or 1/2 off or something like that.

Liquor stores are great sources for boxes. Find their delivery day and load up. If you know a restaurant borrow their glass racks for moving day. Better than wrapping, packing, unwrapping, unpacking every single glass you own.

Yard sale!

And hire reputable movers. At some point (for me it was 42) it‘’s not worth hauling dressers up and down stairs anymore. I work my ass off to afford decent liquor, Saturdays off, and movers.

I like paying for the boxes
It’s alot easier when all the boxes are the same size .

If you hire movers , toss an apple AirTag in somewhere so you can find your stuff if they try to hold it hostage .

How long do you anticipate being homeless? Having just moved after 22 years in the same place, here's what we learned. I hired a friend with a huge dump trailer. I didn't think I'd fill it 1/4 of the way. It was full and I was VERY glad we had it. And I mean full of garbage. My wife wore out the roads going to donate to thrift shops. Gave away (And sold a few for cheap) several things on nextdoor (but people are a major PITA). Gave lots to neighbors. Still moved way too much stuff (corp move, paid for) and I'm hating it. Need to do another big purge as I hope to move again real soon and it'll be on my dime.

Just moved this year. Me and my stepson moved everything ourselves. We took a week off work and by the end of it I was beat. Rolling into the new house at 11 at night every night then starting again at 7 am. I won't do that again. I'll pay someone next time. I ain't as young as I once was.

Get rid of everything you can. Moving sucks. It sucks worse when you schlep unused crap to another house.

This is the way. As I have been cleaning my house room by room I either throw **** out or donate to the Quinn House in Lawrenceville, they pick up at the house and I can write it off. When moving time does come I will donate 80-90% of my furniture, rent a U-Haul and pay to have it loaded and unloaded.

If you have any friends or acquaintances that work at a hospital, either in the central supply or operating rooms, you can get lots of same-sized boxes in various sizes for free.

I agree about liquor stores having great boxes, especially for glassware. But hospitals go through more boxes in a day and have multiples of various sizes. Often, the boxes will already be broken down flat.

Also heavily agree on culling / minimizing / decluttering. Get rid of everything you don't absolutely need or use. From glassware and cooking items to furniture and even "family" items. More stuff = more boxes = more weight = more $$$ (and pain).

Lastly, you're probably not a seventeen year old stud anymore, and the milage on your back and knees starts to tell more and more with each move. Motrin is your friend, but other dudes to do the heavy lifting are often better.

Lastly, you're probably not a seventeen year old stud anymore, and the milage on your back and knees starts to tell more and more with each move. Motrin is your friend, but other dudes to do the heavy lifting are often better.

After getting a couple of quotes (and we've boxed up most of the "stuff") we have twin 19 year old boys in good shape and they have friends who like money.

So we're toying with the idea of having the pros move our furniture and renting a truck/storage space and having a move party using sons and their friends. Hybrid concept maybe?

After getting a couple of quotes (and we've boxed up most of the "stuff") we have twin 19 year old boys in good shape and they have friends who like money.

So we're toying with the idea of having the pros move our furniture and renting a truck/storage space and having a move party using sons and their friends. Hybrid concept maybe?
use em while you can

Back
Top Bottom