• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

School me on moving/furniture storage

Bottom line up front: get a quote that includes everything, with no added fees later.

In 2018 we helped a retired couple in Florida move from a 2 BR apt into a 2 BR home on the campus of a long term care facility. We did 90% of the packing of and they hired one of those “2 men and a truck “ local companies to load and drive the 30’ish miles.

There was a quote prior to loading.

After most of it was unloaded the head mover guy added up the bill and it was significantly higher. So I and my wife started looking it over.

Here’re some rip off items:

$50 for each “wardrobe” box for hanging clothes. (Makes packing and unpacking easier to keep stuff on hangers , but the cost wasn’t included in the original quote.)

$15 charge for each packing blanket used for furniture

$Additiional “fuel surcharge”. (This was pre-Covid)

Additional “time charge” because it took longer than the estimated 4 hours. (i.e.
slow movers make more money.)

And then, adding insult to injury for those box and blanket fees, they added a “removal and recycling “ fee for all boxes and blankets. What? You can’t reuse packing blankets? Charging $50 for a box (and they had a lot of wardrobe boxes) and then charging $3-5 to take said box away?? Criminal.

There was so much crap added to the bill it made a hospital bill look simple.

My wife and I argued and fought, but the elderly couple just wanted to pay the entire bill. In the end we compromised with the company and paid part of the “gotcha fees”.

This was Florida and the rip off company was used to dealing with older people, and the elderly are known for usually paying whatever bill they get, but it’s worth mentioning.

Back
Top Bottom