school me on watches

I wear an Omega Speedmaster Professional (the Moonwatch). Here's a pic from that watch thread that someone else mentioned:
image.jpeg

And a close up with a NATO strap:
image.jpeg

I love it because of the combination of the look (subjective) / value (for a high-quality Swiss mechanical that holds value well) / functionality (love the chrono) / history (first watch in space and only one approved by NASA for decades....one of the most famous watches in history) / extreme durability (only watch that passed the initial NASA testing....beating out Rolex and other brands).

Additionally, I like mine because it looks great with any watch or strap, can be had for about half the cost of a Rolex (not true for all Omega models, however), and doesn't have the bourgeois/snobby stigma that some people (wrongly, I might add) attach to a Rolex owner.

(......Rolexes are amazing - it's just irritating how many people get them merely as 'jewelry' and don't actually know anything about watches ;) )

Enough about my watch - My advice is to go on to the forums on watchuseek.com and search around on the forums looking at pictures under the different brand categories. Some things will definitely catch your eye, and when you've narrowed down a few different models you can do your research and find out what watch is right for you.

Also, I recommend buying used from a highly, highly (!!) recommended seller. You can save a lot of money buying used (with all the documents, box, etc.) and still get a like-new, killer watch. Then, if you decide to sell it, you won't take nearly the hit that you would if you bought new :) It's amazing how many watches are sold that have barely been worn (just like guns!).

A few of my favorite brands from my research and personal taste are Omega, IWC, Nomos, Rolex....of course other popular ones are Panerai, Breitling, JLC....and literally dozens and dozens of other brands at various price ranges. Good luck and sorry for the long post! ;)

I've always wanted a Rolex but could never justify it on a deputy's pay. Check out SCURFA Diver One silicone. I bought one last summer after a lot of research after my Bulova marine star died (also a nice watch). Absolutely love this watch. Paul Scholfield, the maker, is a professional diver in England. He just came out with a stainless band model that I'm considering too. For a bit over $200 shipped its a great watch and well worth the money. I've had a bunch of compliments on it and its holding up really well under some rough use.

Nice watch, but that right there is why I went digital - needing to manually change between 30/31, not to mention February. It is a royal pain in the butt, especially if you've accidentally gone forward too far.

WATCH.png

Since when has wearing a watch been about small weenies and acting like a girl?

Every servicemen has a watch. Are they girls?

Don't you know when someone's just poking fun? High end watches don't do well on my wrist from my experiences. Now my tag just sits in my safe and collects dust. The Eco drive was the most durable watch I've run across and they look great.

Back
Top Bottom