• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Selling timber (commercial thinning and pre commercial thinning)

TheGman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
221   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have recent experience with having a commercial thinning done or pre commercial (think young pines that are hand cut to thin for optimum growth.)

I have about 20 acres thats mature pines needs to be thinned by half.

About 80 acres to be hand thinned , thinking a year from now for execution of project.

Does anyone have recent experience with having a commercial thinning done or pre commercial (think young pines that are hand cut to thin for optimum growth.)

About 80 acres to be hand thinned , thinking a year from now for execution of project.
I sold my timber on about 70 acres of my 170 acres. I put the timber out to bid in Feb, closed in April. The logging started in late Dec and they have just finished. I would absolutely guide you to work with a timber cruiser as I did. My pines were mature but I sold the timber for $3,200 per acre. I am working with the forestry commission on getting it sprayed burnt an planted early 25’

I sold my timber on about 70 acres of my 170 acres. I put the timber out to bid in Feb, closed in April. The logging started in late Dec and they have just finished. I would absolutely guide you to work with a timber cruiser as I did. My pines were mature but I sold the timber for $3,200 per acre. I am working with the forestry commission on getting it sprayed burnt an planted early 25’
Is a timber cruiser a buyer or consultant?

Thanks

Thanks
He walks your land and determines the age and type of trees you have .
1. Say Pulp Wood 20 Tons
2. 40 tons of chip and saw.
3. etc...

He can then value how many tons x todays prices, and value your timber stand.

Edited to say that fee for his service is $3-4 buck per acre.
If you want him to do a sealed bid as I did, Which he sends to 10 timber crews, there is a 4% commission well worth it.

Thanks
Definitely neutral and more of a consultant His goal is to give you a true market price based on yesterdays sales and purchase of timber. But he is your champion he wants to see you get as much as he can if you sell the pines. He will then offer his thoughts on what to do. Fair warning you have a smaller piece of property and the timber guys tend to shy away from it. I didnt realize the equipment they have to bring in and it costs time, and money to move those things...

Thanks
A timber cruiser is simply one who cruises timber for a living. A procurement forester buys timber and runs logging outfits. A consulting forester is exactly that. A professional forester who consults for a living. This could be advice, management plans, setting up timber sales, burning, etc. A land management forester manages property for TIMOs, etc for the most part.

On 20 acres, I’d recommend having the take trees marked and a 100% cruise. It’s up to you on whether you’d trust a buyer to do it or splurge for a consultant. The PC thinning is going to cost you out of pocket but GFC may offer help or an incentive. Hit me up if you need any help. I’m retired but might be able to steer you in the right path depending on where your land is.

He walks your land and determines the age and type of trees you have .
1. Say Pulp Wood 20 Tons
2. 40 tons of chip and saw.
3. etc...

He can then value how many tons x todays prices, and value your timber stand.

Edited to say that fee for his service is $3-4 buck per acre.
If you want him to do a sealed bid as I did, Which he sends to 10 timber crews, there is a 4% commission well worth it.
Some foresters cruise timber for $15 a plot and that’s the end of the transaction. You do what you want with the data. A 4% commission on a sealed bid timber sale is a deal. I never did one for less than 10.

Back
Top Bottom