• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Semi auto or O/U ?

It depends on the gun and how it is used.
For hunting, 26" and 28" barrels are common.
For Skeet and Sporting we are seeing more 30" and 32" barrels.
For Trap the trend seems to be moving toward 32" or even 34" barrels.

Newer barrel technology allows for longer barrel lengths which weigh about the same as previous models.

What would be the benefit or detriment of a 26”?

26” is great for quail hunting particularly from horseback because it is easier to put into and retrieve from a saddle’s scabbard.

It also is easier to tote around on foot. Most of the action is quick, short-range, open choke shooting where speed is more important than pinpoint accuracy.

You lose the longer sight radius and the out-front weight that makes for a smoother swing.

Longer is in fashion right now but it’s all personal preference. Whatever swings and balances best in your hand will work just fine. Shorter barrels will be quicker and whippier, longer barrels will be slower but smoother. I like 30” for an all around gun.
28 & 30 ok in skeet & trap ranges in real reality of hunting birds in woods & briar patch’s 26 inch is better choice .

I'm not into shotguns and I've been thinking about getting one. I want it for all around functionality ( clay, bird etc.). Looking for a 12 ga. but open to a 20 ga. not worried about recoil.... As for money anywhere from 1200- 2500 depending on the shotgun. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance....

Did you end up buying anything?

Back
Top Bottom