• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Semi auto or O/U ?

O/U are just badass and have a 2 different choke benefit. BUT if you can afford it I would recommend a reliable semiautomatic. I have single action, o/u’s and pump shotguns but I don’t have a semiautomatic. It’s where I wish I had went first. This is just some advice on the internet but if I had the funds I would be looking hard at a Benelli. I can tell you that I am.

Semi-auto or pump 12 gauge for ducks, doves, turkeys and home intruders. O/U or SxS is OK too but may wear your shoulder out if there’s a lot of action.

20, 28, 410 break action (O/U, SxS, single barrel) for quail. Anything else is either implicitly or explicitly forbidden by the property owners in my part of the state for reasons below.

Any of the above for clays.

Hunting wild quail in South GA - there is a safety factor having the action broken open so that the other hunter, dog handler, and hunting party know visually that your gun is safe. Anything more than a 20 ga is too loud for the pointers and handler who are close by and usually not wearing ear protection. It’s also considered unsportsmanlike.

If I could only have one it would be a 20 ga O/U.

Semi-auto or pump 12 gauge for ducks, doves, turkeys and home intruders. O/U or SxS is OK too but may wear your shoulder out if there’s a lot of action.

20, 28, 410 break action (O/U, SxS, single barrel) for quail. Anything else is either implicitly or explicitly forbidden by the property owners in my part of the state for reasons below.

Any of the above for clays.

Hunting wild quail in South GA - there is a safety factor having the action broken open so that the other hunter, dog handler, and hunting party know visually that your gun is safe. Anything more than a 20 ga is too loud for the pointers and handler who are close by and usually not wearing ear protection. It’s also considered unsportsmanlike.

If I could only have one it would be a 20 ga O/U.
Any preferred brand and model ?

the ONLY auto I'd buy is the Remington 1100!!!.....all those funny imports are simply fodder....NOTHING will beat a good old 1100!!! I don't care what anybody has to say....let them say ANYTHING bad about the 1100....NOT
o/u's....well that's going to bring up MANY opinions....I'd have to say Beretta, or Browning.....unless you want to go off the reservation...no 12ga o/u's PLEASE!!!

12 ga are by far more common for the sporting clays range.
Look at the hulls laying on the ground or in the trash cans at the stations at most any public Sporting Clays facility. You will see more 12 ga than all other gauges combined.

Not sure I would recommend a Browning 725 Sporting with adjustable comb or a Beretta 694 as a first shotgun, but if money is no object...go for it. :cool:

For an over/under, A Beretta Silver Pigeon I , a Browning Citori or Browning 725 field are within your budget. The Benelli 828u is a little more than your budget, but you may be able to find a good used one.

A Beretta A300 or A400 or the earlier version 390 or 391 are popular choices for gas operated semi-autos.
Benelli Ethos, Montefeltro or SBE models which are inertia operated models are also very popular.
The looks and the styling of a classic Remington 1100 are outstanding.
The Browning Silver/Gold or Winchester SX3 SX4, while not as popular, are a good value.

There are many good choices in the home defense category, but these may not be a good fit as an all around gun. A Benelli M4 would be one of the first choices for 3-gun competitions or home defense but it would be a disadvantage for Sporting Clays or small game hunting.

Had a friend tell me last week: "There are just too many different models and configuration and I can't shoot them all"
My response was "We have to start somewhere" :D

Good Luck in your search and enjoy the journey !

12 ga are by far more common for the sporting clays range.
Look at the hulls laying on the ground or in the trash cans at the stations at most any public Sporting Clays facility. You will see more 12 ga than all other gauges combined.

Not sure I would recommend a Browning 725 Sporting with adjustable comb or a Beretta 694 as a first shotgun, but if money is no object...go for it. :cool:

For an over/under, A Beretta Silver Pigeon I , a Browning Citori or Browning 725 field are within your budget. The Benelli 828u is a little more than your budget, but you may be able to find a good used one.

A Beretta A300 or A400 or the earlier version 390 or 391 are popular choices for gas operated semi-autos.
Benelli Ethos, Montefeltro or SBE models which are inertia operated models are also very popular.
The looks and the styling of a classic Remington 1100 are outstanding.
The Browning Gold or Winchester SX3 SX4, while not as popular, are a good value.

There are many good choices in the home defense category, but these may not be a good fit as an all around gun. A Benelli M4 would be one of the first choices for 3-gun competitions or home defense but it would be a disadvantage for Sporting Clays or small game hunting.

Had a friend tell me last week: "There are just too many different models and configuration and I can't shoot them all"
My response was "We have to start somewhere" :D

Good Luck in your search and enjoy the journey !
Thanks for the feedback!

12ga is the most common in all shotguns....doesn't mean you have to buy one....I shoot some sporting clays....don't know anyone shooting a 12ga....BUT there are more 12ga hulls in the trash can!!
tell me....when you're looking in the trash can for the 12ga hulls....do you see any .410 hulls??? I suspect so....

Back
Top Bottom