Seriously, does it make that much of a difference (charging handle)?

A Stock handle's lower latch ear (the red circled portion in the pic) bends downward during repeated single sided/latch side manipulation. Eventually the gap gets wide enough that the latch/roll pin/spring fly out in all directions.

[Broken External Image]:

A couple of other considerations.

If the latch is too big it can be very uncomfortable to carry depending on what type of sling system you use.

The issue of bending the charging handle by only using one side of the latch is much more pronounced on an AR10.

I have a buddy and co-worker that swears by the BCM charging handles. Does it really make that big of a difference? I have only had and used whatever factory charging handle that came w/ the rifle. But, he has me considering doing an upgrade. And, y'all know my cheap ass ain't about to spend $40 if I don't need to.

I use factory controls as much as possible so my rifle will feel like the one I might have to pick up. That's also why I don't do ambidextrous controls, BAD levers, and oversized whatevers.

A couple of other considerations.

If the latch is too big it can be very uncomfortable to carry depending on what type of sling system you use.

The issue of bending the charging handle by only using one side of the latch is much more pronounced on an AR10.

I've been forgetting to get one for my PSA .308... Thats a hefty BCG to pull back, using a crappy stock CH.

Outside of the trigger it's one of the very upgrades worth making on an AR. I've bent one of those stock charging handles, and I don't even use ARs that much.

This is also a legitimate consideration.
Sacrificing the ability to quickly/efficiently clear malfunctions on your own rifle, for continuities sake in the off chance you will be picking up somebodies rifle....seems completely illegitimate to me. As always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom