• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Seriously; What is a low-ball?

To me it's all in the delivery. If you present your reasonable offer in a manner that is respectful, then typically sellers won't be offended.

this all day long. Perosnally I just cant make myself pay someones asking price without trying first so i generally always make an offer lower than asking price but i try to stay within reason (generally 10-15%) less than what they were asking, then if its too low they then say what they could do it for. It seems to me a big part is less people want to haggle which is half the fun to me.

A lowball is when the offer is retail price on an item that is advertised for twice retail.

A lowball is any thing less than retail for a beat up shot out Glock.

I don't necessarily consider it a lowball but for items that are priced reasonably close to the market or going rate there is a threshold that once you go below the chances of reaching a deal are very, very slim.

In my experience, if someone offers 15% or more below current market price for a reasonably priced item they're generally fishing for a deal and have no intention of paying anywhere near market price.

People that offer within 15% of market, you can generally negotiate a reasonable deal. Of course there will be exceptions depending on the specific item, demand, rarity, popularity etc.

I use the same percentage when determining whether to make an offer on an item or not. If something is priced 15% or more above the current market price then the chances of reaching a deal near market pricing are low.

Again, there will be some exceptions, a new person for example may not have researched the market very well or at all. But if an item is listed 15% or more over market by a member with a fair amount of feedback, they're probably hoping a sucker will come by or they may be flippers. I am also firmly convinced that some people here like to list their stuff just to show off. And let's not forget the ever popular "testing the waters" post which may as well be I'm trolling for a sucker.

There are many that would not agree with this statement. ;)
I agree with this statement

Here's the deal, or at least what I've noticed over the few years I've been on here.

There's the camp that has the retail mentality. And what I mean by that, is that they take the price as cemented in stone. Both as a buyer and a seller. If they see something with a price on it, they wouldn't dare offer less. In the same vein, if someone offers them a dollar less than their asking price they are offended.

The other camp are the hagglers. They believe everything in life is negotiable. They price their items a little higher than they expect them to sell for because they will negotiate the price down. In the same vein, they will NEVER, EVER, EVER pay the asking price for an item. They have to negotiate the seller down to feel like they got a better deal.

Then there's others but we won't speak of them.

I like to haggle, btw.

I AM a Haggler!

Attachments

• Marvin Hagler.jpg
    Marvin Hagler.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom