• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting a auto vs revolver

Gacowboy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
172   1
Reaction score
I went to the range today with a friend to try my new Beretta 9000s, it shot real low, but my taurus ultra lite snubbie was dead on at 15 feet, i feel a big difference in shooting a semi auto vs a revolver, and i have better scores with a revolver than a semi auto, is this just me ? i feel i may be shooting the semi auto in a wrong way, is this possible ?

Many shooters find shooting revolvers easier than Autos.

First thing I noticed is you were shooting a DA/SA auto which has a lot of take up in the trigger. I'm guessing you were shooting the Taurus SA which would mean there was no take up in the trigger. How accurate are you with the Taurus shooting DA only?

Well, they are definitely based on different techniques... I had a S&W 642 for a while and it had a definite 'tick' at about 3/4 pull of the trigger. If you were shooting double action, you really have to be aware of that tick before making sure the sights were on target. Most of the semi-autos (at least the ones I've kept) have a short trigger pull that really doesn't compare to the DA pull on a hammerless revolver.

It's all about what you're used to- just practice with yours and keep hitting the target!

Many shooters find shooting revolvers easier than Autos.

First thing I noticed is you were shooting a DA/SA auto which has a lot of take up in the trigger. I'm guessing you were shooting the Taurus SA which would mean there was no take up in the trigger. How accurate are you with the Taurus shooting DA only?

better than the auto

Sounds to me that of you're shooting low, you're anticipating recoil and the longer travel of the trigger on a double action is causing you to push the nose of the pistol down. Dry fire the Beretta a couple dozen times to get used to the trigger. Wheels guns are always easier to shoot, plain and simple!

Revolver shooters tend to push the gun some to manage recoil. Try shooting the Beretta while just letting the gun recoil with no attempt by you to manage. After a few rounds you should get a feel for the difference.

Also-

Try very hard to keep your grip consistent (tight) throughout the shot. If you are shooting low, it is often a sign that you are (involuntarily) gripping loose until right before the hammer falls, and then tightening your grip up.

This involuntary "squeeze" as the trigger breaks will cause your shots to all go low.

Last edited:
I went to the range today with a friend to try my new Beretta 9000s, it shot real low, but my taurus ultra lite snubbie was dead on at 15 feet, i feel a big difference in shooting a semi auto vs a revolver, and i have better scores with a revolver than a semi auto, is this just me ? i feel i may be shooting the semi auto in a wrong way, is this possible ?

I have always been alot better with revolvers than semi-autos, its not just you, but you cant hold it the same way or something, if im in the center with my revolver, ill shoot left with my ruger. I dont know why either.

Back
Top Bottom