• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shooting at Stoddard's Atlanta

Couldn't tell ya the last time I tried renting a gun.. I just buy'm when I want to try them. But could've sworn I've seen this type of rule somewhere.

As for that policy goes ... I can name two that apparently should institute such a rule... Stoddards and Ga Firing Line :tape:

Actually, there is no data supporting such rules help avoid these things. In fact, these rules have been known to just set up for a homicide plus suicide situation. It's a lot like gun control law. You can't "rule" everything away. Customers also hate it when you try.

Latest email:

Stoddard's Atlanta location will return to normal operating hours tomorrow opening at 11am. The incident that occurred earlier today is considered to be an isolated event. No member of the Stoddard's team was involved and grief counseling has been made available.

Our hearts and prayers go out to the family impacted by today's tragedy. The team is deeply saddened and the Stoddard's owners ask that you respect their sensitivity in discussing the matter. Out of respect and dignity, we have asked our team not to comment on this incident in detail beyond that which has been publicly reported.

We want to thank the Atlanta Police Department and our team for their professionalism, compassion and service during this difficult time. We would also like to thank our customers for their outreach of caring, support and understanding.

We look forward to serving you tomorrow.

Actually, there is no data supporting such rules help avoid these things. In fact, these rules have been known to just set up for a homicide plus suicide situation. It's a lot like gun control law. You can't "rule" everything away. Customers also hate it when you try.
I don't disagree. Any rule to potentially limit such occurrences would hinder legitimate new shooters that are interested in learning. It's exactly like gun control laws. Great point.

My cousin owns and operates a 18 lane range in South Florida, this happens to them about ones a year, it's usually the 1st or last customer...

Last year they had a young man, mid 20's walk in on a Sunday morning right as they were opening up and reserve a couple lanes rent some pistols, ammo, targets, etc...he said he was waiting on his family and some friends.Guy went upstairs to the range, sent out a group text to all his family and friends about where and what he was planning to do....

Waited a few minutes and BANG!

By the time they received the first frantic phone call it was already to late... and not a minute or two after that, they had irate family members the show up, even before police and fire. It was really a bad deal....

Email I got today:

Update on Atlanta's Incident Yesterday
Dear Stoddard's Supporters,

Thank you to those who reached out regarding the incident that occurred on Saturday morning at our Atlanta location. We regret that we cannot comment further at this time on this situation, as we are waiting for the Atlanta Police Department to finalize their investigation.

We can say this was not an accident. The individual's death was a result of a self-inflicted gun shot wound, and he succumbed to that injury at the scene. We would like to let our patrons and members know this event was neither safety nor security related. At no time were other patrons or staff in harms way. Once a final report has been issued by Atlanta PD, we may be able to release more details. No criminal charges are expected to be filed in the case.

As you know, we take safety seriously. It was an unfortunate, isolated incident for which we are deeply saddened. We again would like to that our patrons who were here during the occurrence and provided help and support, the Atlanta PD for their leadership, and the members' continued support.

Thanks again for your continued kind words and support.

Stoddards is a class act for sure. Great company, Great staff.
Sad incident but if someone is bent on doing this they
they would find a way, rental or buy a gun.
I was a class 3 weapons dealer for years and had
a friend in NH with a range this happened twice in
a week. Google it happens more often that you
would imagine.
Prayers for everyone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to those who reached out regarding the incident that occurred on Saturday morning at our Atlanta location. We regret that we cannot comment further at this time on this situation, as we are waiting for the Atlanta Police Department to finalize their investigation.

We can say this was not an accident. The individual's death was a result of a self-inflicted gun shot wound, and he succumbed to that injury at the scene. We would like to let our patrons and members know this event was neither safety nor security related. At no time were other patrons or staff in harms way. Once a final report has been issued by Atlanta PD, we may be able to release more details. No criminal charges are expected to be filed in the case.

As you know, we take safety seriously. It was an unfortunate, isolated incident for which we are deeply saddened. We again would like to that our patrons who were here during the occurrence and provided help and support, the Atlanta PD for their leadership, and the members' continued support.

Thanks again for your continued kind words and support.

Class act? Real classy opening your doors to people when the clean up crew is still scrubbing the blood off the range to make sales. Real classy when the employees are told "if you don't show back up to work you risk your job" after someone just shot themselves in bay one. Place is a yuppies wet dream and a real shooters nightmare. Stay away from Stoddards they only care about money.

Back
Top Bottom