• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting Dove, Not as Easy as it Looks

Well you will improve your shooting unless you never got a feather, by buying decent ammo like 3 1/4 x 1 1/8 no eight shot. By the way I use 1 1/4 ounce of shot
You remember the Winchester super pigeons they were the best dove load I ever shot.

In no way laying it on gun and ammo, know that. I was using my 11-87 with IC choke, 12 Ga, 2 3/4" ,1350 velocity, 1 oz., 7 1/2 shot Remington shells.

Anyone see anything that I need to change or just more practice?

Full Choke, 1-1/8 oz of #8

go out 30 long steps and put up a few full open sheets of newspaper
shoot your IC choke
shoot a Full
now
move out to 40 steps, do the same and you decide
also
when looking at the 40 step newspaper, notice how close it looks, and how far away those Doves you have been shooting at actually are

I agree with using a proper load for doves. And yes, the closer, the better. You need to lead them a bit. Doves are fast. They dont look it, but they fly really fast.

My brother busted a few on Saturday. I would have joined him but it was too dang hot. Lol...My Dad took us every year when we were growing up. Lots of fun.

Full Choke, 1-1/8 oz of #8

go out 30 long steps and put up a few full open sheets of newspaper
shoot your IC choke
shoot a Full
now
move out to 40 steps, do the same and you decide
also
when looking at the 40 step newspaper, notice how close it looks, and how far away those Doves you have been shooting at actually are
I never considered a full choke. I just figured there would be nothing left of them.

Everybody is recommending heavy loads, but I've been shooting them for all my life with 1 oz of #8 or #9 at 1200fps. Heavy loads just make your shoulder sore.

I agree with some who have suggested a better quality shell. Your patterns should improve with them. Skeet is really better for dove practice than sporting clays. You need practice for those crossing shots. And typically, new hunters don't give doves enough lead. They're often flying much faster than you might think.

As for choke, I've never hunted with anything tighter than Improved Cylinder except in late season when I'm taking longer shots than I should. That's another mistake beginners often make...shooting at doves too far away. If you'll keep your shots within 35 yds, your % will go up. Judging range is an experience thing, the more you go, the better you'll get. Take a veteran dove hunter with you and they can help you with that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Everybody is recommending heavy loads, but I've been shooting them for all my life with 1 oz of #8 or #9 at 1200fps. Heavy loads just make your shoulder sore.

I agree with some who have suggested a better quality shell. Your patterns should improve with them. Skeet is really better for dove practice than sporting clays. You need practice for those crossing shots. And typically, new hunters don't give doves enough lead. They're often flying much faster than you might think.

As for choke, I've never hunted with anything tighter than Improved Cylinder except in late season when I'm taking longer shots than I should. That's another mistake beginners often make...shooting at doves too far away. If you'll keep your shots within 35 yds, your % will go up. Judging range is an experience thing, the more you go, the better you'll get. Take a veteran dove hunter with you and they can help you with that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Thank you for this advice. I am looking forward to my next trip. With all these recommendations I am not sure what to change and what to keep the same. I see trial and error in my future.

Back
Top Bottom