• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shooting someone elses reloads

Will you shoot someone elses reloads

• Yes

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 60.4%

• Total voters

2005Redfire6

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
107   0
Reaction score
Hey guys... Recently traded for a total of 600 hand reloads from someone here on ODT. They were a family friends that is deceased and he reloaded. I have read on the internet its not very smart to shoot someone elses reloads but he says hes shot them before without issue and I shot 50 of them today without issue besides a few bulged cases jamming. Question is, would you shoot some one elses reloads? Why or why not?

9mm and .45

I've weighed them compared to factory 115gr 9mm loads and they are almost spot on weight wise in grains if that matters...

Last edited:
It depends greatly, There are a few guys here on the ODT (Shrek,Passdabullets,smokeymountainsmoke) I would shoot theirs just for that fact that I have reloaded with them and know they are done correctly. If it were me I would shoot with the guy that made them first. As long as you have confidence in the reloader then you should be fine.

Think about it......I would say 90% of the members on this site have shot someone eleses reloads. (ie. Summit, Ga Arms)

Hey guys... Recently traded for a total of 600 hand reloads from someone here on ODT. They were a family friends that is deceased and he reloaded. I have read on the internet its not very smart to shoot someone elses reloads but he says hes shot them before without issue and I shot 50 of them today without issue besides a few bulged cases jamming. Question is, would you shoot some one elses reloads? Why or why not?

9mm and .45

I've weighed them compared to factory 115gr 9mm loads and they are almost spot on weight wise in grains if that matters...

No it doesn't matter. Are you sure it was the same powder in the reloads as was in the factory stuff?

5 grains of one powder may be safe but the same 5 grains of another that looks similar can be seriously over pressure.

Personally I would pull them down, salvage the primed brass and bullets and reload with a known powder and safe charge .

I did it one time. Came close to ruining a S&W Model 24. The rounds did not have an adequate powder charge. Had I been in rapid fire mode I would have stacked rounds in the gun barrel.

It depends greatly, There are a few guys here on the ODT (Shrek,Passdabullets,smokeymountainsmoke) I would shoot theirs just for that fact that I have reloaded with them and know they are done correctly. If it were me I would shoot with the guy that made them first. As long as you have confidence in the reloader then you should be fine.

Think about it......I would say 90% of the members on this site have shot someone eleses reloads. (ie. Summit, Ga Arms)

Thats what I was thinking. The man who reloaded them died a few years ago. However, the member I got them from says he has shot them before without issues and that he would shoot them again without thinking twice.

No it doesn't matter. Are you sure it was the same powder in the reloads as was in the factory stuff?

5 grains of one powder may be safe but the same 5 grains of another that looks similar can be seriously over pressure.

Personally I would pull them down, salvage the primed brass and bullets and reload with a known powder and safe charge .

This is the optimal soultion ^

Thats what my buddy that reloads recommended and he said he personally wouldn't shoot them, that is what I would probably do.

But at the same time I think to myself if this guy that was reloading them obviously knew what he was doing (I hope) if he was reloading and shooting his own loads in the first place.

Thanks for the confidence bro, but I suggest that anyone use EXTREME caution and be certain of the loads.

Thats what I was thinking. The man who reloaded them died a few years ago. However, the member I got them from says he has shot them before without issues and that he would shoot them again without thinking twice.

Yea, and OJ says he was innocent! If you have confiendece in the man's words then go with it, but it's your life and your gun. Like I said all depends on who did it.

Back
Top Bottom