• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shot Placement

Good points made here and I agree that shot placement is critical. That said, I do TOTALLY disagree with his 4th point. Been killing deer with neck shots for 20ish years with a small caliber gun and they always fall in their tracks, but neck shots are not for everyone, so moving right along.

What they are showing as a high shoulder shot, isn't. It's another pic of a behind the shoulder double lung shot.

This is a high shoulder shot placement.
1639325112397.png

Good points made here and I agree that shot placement is critical. That said, I do TOTALLY disagree with his 4th point. Been killing deer with neck shots for 20ish years with a small caliber gun and they always fall in their tracks, but neck shots are not for everyone, so moving right along.

I shot my first deer this year in the middle of the neck based on some insight I got from one of your posts. You made a believer out of me. A 100 grain 25-06 Remington Corelokt in the middle of the neck will instantly drop a deer in the Georgia woods. It makes a small entrance and explodes inside the neck with no exit. I may end up getting into the 22-250 caliber because 100 grain 25-06 is getting harder and harder to to find.

I shot my first deer this year in the middle of the neck based on some insight I got from one of your posts. You made a believer out of me. A 100 grain 25-06 Remington Corelokt in the middle of the neck will instantly drop a deer in the Georgia woods. It makes a small entrance and explodes inside the neck with no exit. I may end up getting into the 22-250 caliber because 100 grain 25-06 is getting harder and harder to to find.

Congrats on your kill!! Feel free to touch base anytime.

I eat the deer I shoot so it's always back edge of the shoulder and low enough for the heart. Don't always hit the heart, but they are always DRT or VERY shortly after. And I never take head shots as that's the part of the deer that moves more than anything and often unpredictably.

Anatomically correct…

Excellent video.

I eat the deer I shoot so it's always back edge of the shoulder and low enough for the heart. Don't always hit the heart, but they are always DRT or VERY shortly after. And I never take head shots as that's the part of the deer that moves more than anything and often unpredictably.

Excellent video.
And the neck is my favorite part to eat!

I would think with a 25-06 you could hit that deer anywhere you want and it would go down. I'm a real fan of the 1/4 bore

I would think with a 25-06 you could hit that deer anywhere you want and it would go down. I'm a real fan of the 1/4 bore

I normally shoot in the arm pit with a Hornady 117 grain American Whitetail and they go down in between 8 to 15 seconds. Small entrance and no exit. I always worried a neck shot would blow the back side of the neck out but it did not with 100 grains. I use to point of shoulder shoot with 115 grain nosler partitions in 25-06 but it ruined a lot of meat. The partitions would knock them off their feet.They would sometimes get back up and run a little with a broken shoulder dragging the ground. I stopped shoulder shooting because of that and because you would often hear a long loud bleat or grunt come from the animal because it was suffering.

I normally shoot in the arm pit and they go down in between 8 to 15 seconds. Small entrance and no exit. I always worried a neck shot would blow the back side of the neck out but it did not with 100 grains. I use to point of shoulder shoot with 115 grain nosler partitions in 25-06 but it ruined a lot of meat. The partitions would knock them off their feet.They would sometimes get back up and run a little with a broken shoulder dragging the ground. I stopped shoulder shooting because of that and because you would often hear a long loud bleat or grunt come from the animal because it was suffering.
Proof is in the pudding. Definitely go with what works. I use a 257Wby with 120gr spire tips. Usually drops them in their tracks, does a real number on them. I figure the 25-06 is close to the Wby. 257Wby has been known to take large dangerous game. I figure 25-06 would probably take an elk. However I don't think that would be my first choice with the latter two

Back
Top Bottom