• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shot a doe to honor an old friend.

ckarr

Bear Icon
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
A few years ago I got a call informing me one of my favorite patients had passed. His wife asked if I knew which gun he had left to me in his will. I had no idea he ever had his will changed for me to have a gun of his. I knew he had some really nice collections that were high end, but I told her to let his boys choose what they want and if there’s anything they don’t, then I would be glad to have what was left. Honestly it was the thought that mattered more than anything. We hung up and I didn’t hear from her again for maybe almost a year. She asked me to come by, and as I arrived his entire gun collection was laid out in their dining room. After I drooled for a while, she brought me to an old raggedy case. When I pulled it out she told me this was his first rifle as a child and what he always used when he deer hunted. That meant more to me than the original m1’s or log range setups he had. It’s almost exactly 60 years old now, he got it when he was around 12-13 years old. An old JC Higgins sears and Roebuck 30-30. I’ve taken this out the last few years to honor a good friend, Paul Gasparovic, by taking a deer with it. It never failed I would get skunked, or have a big buck too far, or just a small doe/spike that I didn’t want to shoot. I didn’t anticipate shooting a doe this morning, but I’m sure he was smiling down when I did. 27 yards, heart and lung, and my first deer with a 30-30 and open sights on a gun. I’m exhausted after getting this out, but man it was worth it.

Attachments

• CC442FE6-B68E-4375-8BFD-456715B00C0F.jpeg
    CC442FE6-B68E-4375-8BFD-456715B00C0F.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 140
Great story
A long time ago my father in law gave me this same rifle. It needed restoring so I stripped it down and had it reblued and I refinished the stock and cleaned it up real good and put it in the safe.
This man was my father in law but also my son’s grandfather that he and I loved very much.
He passed away about 3 years ago.
My son didn’t know that I had this rifle and about a year after his passing we were just sitting around reminiscing about Pappy,which is what we called him and my son said that he wished he had gotten one of his rifles.
At the time my was 27 years old.
I said come on son I want to give you something.
I pulled it out of the safe and handed it to him and he said what is this.
I said that is one of Pappy’s rifles and now it’s yours.
He had no idea that I had one of his rifles.
I’ll never forget the look on his face at that moment,we both teared up and talked about it and he took it home.
I think that old rifle means more to him than anything he owns.

Great story
A long time ago my father in law gave me this same rifle. It needed restoring so I stripped it down and had it reblued and I refinished the stock and cleaned it up real good and put it in the safe.
This man was my father in law but also my son’s grandfather that he and I loved very much.
He passed away about 3 years ago.
My son didn’t know that I had this rifle and about a year after his passing we were just sitting around reminiscing about Pappy,which is what we called him and my son said that he wished he had gotten one of his rifles.
At the time my was 27 years old.
I said come on son I want to give you something.
I pulled it out of the safe and handed it to him and he said what is this.
I said that is one of Pappy’s rifles and now it’s yours.
He had no idea that I had one of his rifles.
I’ll never forget the look on his face at that moment,we both teared up and talked about it and he took it home.
I think that old rifle means more to him than anything he owns.
That’s awesome. Hunting tells a lot of stories, especially through handing down guns and gear. Im
Sure he was excited.

Great stories. My grandfather passed away some years back and his wife at the time never offered anyone in the family any of his guns. She gave them away to some guy they knew. I would love to have had any of them.

Back
Top Bottom