• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shotgun range for pattern testing & function testing

Frank Rizzo

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Hey all, as the title ask says, I'm looking for a range in GA that allows shotgunning in a non skeet/trap/sporting clays setting. I recently picked up a Benelli M4 and want to function test it, check pattern, and possibly run some home-defense drills. From what I could tell, only one outdoor WMA range has a shotgun pattern testing area (Clybel Shooting Range) but I am suspicious of their tolerance for rapid fire and the like. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can go this Tuesday (Apr 19)?

Thanks for the help

-W

Call the Tom Lowe range and ask. If I recall correctly they used to have a pattern board on left, when you first drive up. They also have another area in the way far part they might let you use, when they aren’t busy.

Call the Tom Lowe range and ask. If I recall correctly they used to have a pattern board on left, when you first drive up. They also have another area in the way far part they might let you use, when they aren’t busy.
Looks like Tom Lowe doesn’t allow shot size larger than 7.5 on premises. Looking to test 00 buck. Thank you for the suggestion though.

The patterning board at Tom Lowe was a piece of sheet steel or plate steel, and if you shot lead birdshot or very small buckshot at it all you would do is put gray smudges on its surface. Then you could paint it over in between shots.

But... so many idiots have vandalized it shooting it with slugs & OO buckshot and even pistols, the last time I saw it was basically destroyed.
I wouldn't shoot at it in that condition even with birdshot-- it might fling the pellets back at you because of the concave defects in the surface.

Hey all, as the title ask says, I'm looking for a range in GA that allows shotgunning in a non skeet/trap/sporting clays setting. I recently picked up a Benelli M4 and want to function test it, check pattern, and possibly run some home-defense drills. From what I could tell, only one outdoor WMA range has a shotgun pattern testing area (Clybel Shooting Range) but I am suspicious of their tolerance for rapid fire and the like. Does anyone have any recommendations on where I can go this Tuesday (Apr 19)?

Thanks for the help

-W
I'm fairly certain that if the range is occupied they're only going to let you take two shots. The problem is it destroys the target hangers so I've Been Told

Any range that allows the use of 00 buck will work. Bring your own cardboard; one piece per round you want to test, per distance.

Chestnut Mountain WMA would work, I would think.
Definitely. The signs even say you can shoot shotguns for patterning purposes. And no one there is going to bother you about it if your shooting 1000 shells ime. Never had any problems there, but I would be wary of others. Never had any issues but idiots use that range too.

Back
Top Bottom