• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Shotguns still suck for Self Defense.

I've known different people that have been shot with a 9mm, a .22, a 5.56.

Most say that it stung at first before hurting a lot.

I've never heard a person that was shot with buck shot say that they didn't know they'd been hit, or that it stung.

In fact, I don't know many stories from people that have been shot with 00 or slugs that are around to talk about it.

12GA isn't the end all for self defense, but it has it's merits and those merits are a buttload of energy in a 70 cal. + hole. flight control wads have changed the game when it comes to shot dispersion.

I know, this has come up before, but never had a dedicated thread.

Just watched "John Wick 2" again and it reminded me of this fact. They are slow, low capacity and a PITA to reload. The only positive they have (a big pattern to help clear a room) is a complete myth.

Maybe if the target is between 20 and 35 yards there is some advantage, but other than that they are crap. Everyone should just sell their SD shotguns and get a real weapon for SD/HD. A carbine rifle.
William Munny would beg to differ....:behindsofa:

But wait. Let me come up with a scenario that serves Bear's side. Because he is obviously correct. What if there were 7 trained assassin's that came in to get you and steal your new flat screen. Clearly, that shotgun would not be enough.
Hmmm 7 Assassins Vs 8 three inch magnums OO, I'd have one round left over. I popped a cap with 3/4 that blew a guy out of his Ho Chi Min sandals so I can imagine what the 3's would do (giggly giggly) at 10-15m's with my old Win 97 using slam fire, I could put 54 32cal holes in a target faster than an AR using a 30rd mag. Now THATS home defense:becky:

Ok Bear, Now that we have established that you don't know much about: home defense, shotguns, the Walker triggers and spend way to much time on ODT. what you got next,
Glock vs ...
40 vs..
truck guns vs no truck gun
cc vs oc
or what?

There is only one round that I consider sufficient for SD, and even then it's marginal. I carried one for a short time, but could never get comfortable with the idea and no longer do. I never even considered it as a HD weapon.
I was just asking since you appeared to be discounting the power of a 12g as not worth the sacrifice. Or maybe I was just leading you along since I already know your opinion on .380. Hard to tell....

Back
Top Bottom