• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns with "tactical" buckshot, different barrel lengths and options

No doubt a 12 is more powerful at close range, but if capacity and speed of follow up and reloads are of no concern, a single shot should do just fine, right? :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to wager that a single shot 12 gauge has successfully defended more than one home.

The Federal LE 00 buck load I used in this test, when fired from an 18” barrel, has roughly the same energy as an M193 out of a 16” barrel. Of course, that shotgun load is a reduced load, so a full power load would have more energy. Also, if the 5.56 load is fired from an SBR you’ll lose quite a bit of energy.

In my book, a good shotgun and a good AR are about even when used for HD. They both have their pros and cons. To dismiss either offhandedly as worthless would be a wrong decision.

How many rounds does one need in a HD situation? It ain’t the movies, or an ADT commercial.

Key thing with HD is collateral damage and shooting thru walls. In todays world houses are literally feet from each other. this is where I give a Shotgun the edge

Key thing with HD is collateral damage and shooting thru walls. In todays world houses are literally feet from each other. this is where I give a Shotgun the edge
Give it the edge for shooting through walls?
And collateral damage since so many people think a shotgun aims itself.

That is definitely one of the advantages. 00 buck is a relatively low penetrator, as firearm projectiles go. #4 buck penetrates even less than 00 buck, with all other factors being the same.

I was issued 3 different shotguns as Marietta PD. In order they were an 18” Rem870, then a 13” Ithaca 37, then a 14” Benelli M1. When loaded in my car I had them loaded with slugs because I would oftentimes use them for felony vehicle stops. I wanted something that could punch through car windows and doors. If I had the time before doing entries/room clearing, I would switch to 00 buck. If I didn’t have time, screw it, I just went with slugs.

075960AE-6662-4273-A31A-3D1F5CA8B180.jpeg

My bedside friend....

Back
Top Bottom