• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns with "tactical" buckshot, different barrel lengths and options

IMG_6426.JPG

If we only talk about stuff never talked about, this would be a small forum.

Unlike most modern pump-action shotguns, the Winchester Model 1897 (versions of which were type classified as the Model 97 or M97 for short) fired each time the action closed with the trigger depressed (that is, it lacks a trigger disconnector). Coupled with its six-shot capacity made it effective for close combat, such that troops referred to it as a "trench sweeper". This characteristic allowed troops to fire the whole magazine with great speed. The Model 1897 was so effective, and feared, that the German government protested (in vain) to have it outlawed in combat.[16] The Model 1897 was used again in World War II by the United States Army andMarine Corps, where it was used alongside the similarly militarized version of the hammerless Model 1912.

Excellent write up CMShoot. It mirrors the limited testing I have done with the 14in. Remington Police Magnums that I have put together. Police Magnums with Mesa 6 round side saddle, 14in. Remington rifle sighted barrel, Scattergun Tech +1 button, Knoxx Gen 3 stock with Larry Vickers Blue Force sling. Tiny little package and powerful. Our barrels are not back bored or lengthened forcing cones. Standard 14in. barrels. They will hold buck pretty tight and hold great groups with slugs. I like them. I honestly would prefer one stoked with 1oz. slugs over a rifle (.223)

Excellent write up CMShoot. It mirrors the limited testing I have done with the 14in. Remington Police Magnums that I have put together. Police Magnums with Mesa 6 round side saddle, 14in. Remington rifle sighted barrel, Scattergun Tech +1 button, Knoxx Gen 3 stock with Larry Vickers Blue Force sling. Tiny little package and powerful. Our barrels are not back bored or lengthened forcing cones. Standard 14in. barrels. They will hold buck pretty tight and hold great groups with slugs. I like them. I honestly would prefer one stoked with 1oz. slugs over a rifle (.223)

When you look at how tightly the 8- and 9-pellet Federal reduced recoil Flite Control wad loads pattern, it's kind of hard to justify $200 for the backboring and forcing cone lengthening. To me it's worth the money, but it wouldn't be to a lot of folks.

None of these "tests" prove anything, other than an individual's personal ability with their personal weapons.

Shotguns, carbines, SBR's, and handguns are all valid HD weapons, each with their own pros and cons. There are specific instances where one system is superior to another. There are times when an SBR or SBS are too long and a handgun works better. I had it happen to me while clearing a building in my street cop days.

Anyone that says one system is always superior to another is not looking at the bigger picture, or is close-minded.
In the context of home defense, I can't see much advantage of one over the other.

Being that "most" HD situations range in the 5 shots or less, Id want the most bang for my buck per shot. 308 is nice but since im in the city, Id rather not kill a neighbor. Being that a shotgun leaves multiple wound channels and will probably not make it far after going through a person and a door. I'll pick up the shotgun. Most people refer to the shotgun as "devastating" at close range. Thats a strong word from a pro. Pistols can not compete with a rifle / shotgun in most situations. As ive said before, very few people hunt deer with a 9mm.

If we only talk about stuff never talked about, this would be a small forum.

Unlike most modern pump-action shotguns, the Winchester Model 1897 (versions of which were type classified as the Model 97 or M97 for short) fired each time the action closed with the trigger depressed (that is, it lacks a trigger disconnector). Coupled with its six-shot capacity made it effective for close combat, such that troops referred to it as a "trench sweeper". This characteristic allowed troops to fire the whole magazine with great speed. The Model 1897 was so effective, and feared, that the German government protested (in vain) to have it outlawed in combat.[16] The Model 1897 was used again in World War II by the United States Army andMarine Corps, where it was used alongside the similarly militarized version of the hammerless Model 1912.
All my Ithaca M37s slam fire also. I've never seen it as any particular advantage, unless you're prone to forgetting to release/pull trigger if second shot needed. I mean, how much time do you save? On the other hand, if you do forget trigger release, you're going to fire that next round when you pump the action whether you intended or not.

All my Ithaca M37s slam fire also. I've never seen it as any particular advantage, unless you're prone to forgetting to release/pull trigger if second shot needed. I mean, how much time do you save? On the other hand, if you do forget trigger release, you're going to fire that next round when you pump the action whether you intended or not.

Well slam firing is a bonus but, I wanted to mostly point put the effectiveness of the shotgun in close combat trenches. Probably similar to clearing a hallway. I know i can fire a shotgun much more effectively in a tight space than a SBR or Rifle and if at point blank range Id rather put a 12 gauge full of buckshot in his guts than a couple 9mms. Thats just me, im sure others may disagree.

Well slam firing is a bonus but, I wanted to mostly point put the effectiveness of the shotgun in close combat trenches. Probably similar to clearing a hallway. I know i can fire a shotgun much more effectively in a tight space than a SBR or Rifle and if at point blank range Id rather put a 12 gauge full of buckshot in his guts than a couple 9mms. Thats just me, im sure others may disagree.
:deadhorse:

Back
Top Bottom