• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shotguns with "tactical" buckshot, different barrel lengths and options

My shorty is still the Rem870 while my full-size combat shotgun is an old HK-marked Benelli M1. Debating on putting together an 18”-20” pump gun......don’t know why. I’ve got a Wingmaster at home already I could use as the base, or easily pick up another, but I’m also contemplating an older slam-fire Ithaca 37. An SBS Ithaca 37 was my first entry gun on SWAT, it’s also the gun I ran when I went through Shotgun Instructor at GPSTC.

The Ithaca 37 platform has a couple of drawbacks as a tactical shotgun, but some strong points as well. Like every other weapon system (except for the Ma Deuce, which is perfect), it has its pros and cons.

My shorty is still the Rem870 while my full-size combat shotgun is an old HK-marked Benelli M1. Debating on putting together an 18”-20” pump gun......don’t know why. I’ve got a Wingmaster at home already I could use as the base, or easily pick up another, but I’m also contemplating an older slam-fire Ithaca 37. An SBS Ithaca 37 was my first entry gun on SWAT, it’s also the gun I ran when I went through Shotgun Instructor at GPSTC.

The Ithaca 37 platform has a couple of drawbacks as a tactical shotgun, but some strong points as well. Like every other weapon system (except for the Ma Deuce, which is perfect), it has its pros and cons.

Love me some Ithaca 37 Deerslayer... I can't tell you how many deer have been taken with that Gun. It was the gun of choice for us slug only county guys in Upstate NY..

So at 3 feet or 15 feet would you rather be shot with 1 round from a 223 or 1 round from a 12 gauge 00 buck? I would take my chance with the 223 and hope it missed a vital. 223 makes holes 12 makes craters.
No doubt a 12 is more powerful at close range, but if capacity and speed of follow up and reloads are of no concern, a single shot should do just fine, right? :rolleyes:

The Federal LE 00 buck load I used in this test, when fired from an 18” barrel, has roughly the same energy as an M193 out of a 16” barrel. Of course, that shotgun load is a reduced load, so a full power load would have more energy. Also, if the 5.56 load is fired from an SBR you’ll lose quite a bit of energy.

In my book, a good shotgun and a good AR are about even when used for HD. They both have their pros and cons. To dismiss either offhandedly as worthless would be a wrong decision.

How many rounds does one need in a HD situation? It ain’t the movies, or an ADT commercial.

No doubt a 12 is more powerful at close range, but if capacity and speed of follow up and reloads are of no concern, a single shot should do just fine, right? :rolleyes:

If im in my house and 8 rounds of 3" 00 doesnt solve the problem, Im in more trouble than any pistol or rifle will solve.

Back
Top Bottom