Shotshell Reloading for the New guy… Can we get a stickie?

GodBlessTheUSA

Army Icon Lifetime Supporter
I brought down the Iron Curtain
156   0
Reaction score
Gents,

My lovely, and generous spouse got me a Shotshell Reloading Press for Christmas. I've been reloading metallic cases for years, and had even sold some shotshell presses I got in a package deal a few years ago. I'm new to the shotshell reloading business, but have been reading on line and have ordered Lyman's 5th Edition book on shot shell reloading.

I'd like some general tips and warnings, as well as where most of you purchase components (local and online). I've read the sticky on Ga stores for reloading also.

What shot do you prefer, what hulls, what have you bought and regret, high brass vs low brass AA hulls preference, do you tumble, etc. etc.

Thanks in advance.

Merry Christmas!

I shop around to find the best prices on all the components. As with metallic reloading you could stop at Bass Pro or others alike but you'll find much higher prices. I tend to shop the mom and pop gun shop keeping it local. Davids Gun Room typically has the best price on powder if they have what you're looking for. I order wads from Midway, primers from local shops where in stock. I prefer magnum shot over chilled but sometimes you don't have a choice, its who has it. I also like the Rem unibody, older AA and Fed hulls with paper base. When loading your own the hi/low brass doesn't matter but I prefer low brass. Its easier to resize and feeds better into the chamber of my guns. Some shells have such hi brass it won't completely fit into the resizer. I go with Win, Fed and Claybuster wads in Fed and Win types. I dislike Rem wads because they just don't pattern to my likings. Also get more reloading manuals from powder manufacturers. Most times they can be found for free at local gun shops. The Lyman is a good book and has a ton of good load data but have found the data to be a little hotter when compared to the powder manufacturers data. The Lyman book will also have data combinations that the others don't have which is a plus. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom