• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF Currency Question

In a serious, long term SHTF situation, I dont think a person could carry enough silver to buy even one laying hen from me... Just saying... First is water, second is food... Then comes everything else.

It's not only about a shtf situation in the US were to happen, it's a world wide thing. It's what you have when all is said and done. The silver and gold buying idea is to back up your value loosing dollars. If the shtf the us dollar is done, you can say all you want about growing food, and surviving for years but wants to to that? If the shtf, PM's is your currency when you need more growing supplies, gas ammo, guns...ect. not a lot is made in the USA. Other countries including our own are starting to care less and less about the US dollar. They are the makers of 99% of what we have. You can stock pile your dollars all you want, I am a PM kind of guy now. As far as the original question goes. Us coins are valued world wide becuse the us mint has very strick guide lines they must follow to get the accurate weight of the PM in each coin. Other countries know the quality of US minted coins are better than their own. I mainly invest in PM's for my financial future. When you sell it it's TAX FREE. Wipe my ass with a silver coin. (thats funny)...except I will be doing on a toilet, not in the woods somewhere.

I say what is the harm of preparing for all possible scenarios? Why not have gold, silver, ammo, guns, toliet paper, food stuffs, water and water filters, fuel, board games and anything else you thing may be beneficial in a time of want and woe? I don't see it as a matter of one or the other, be prepared for anything.

And for the original poster, if you choose to go with bullion, look at something like Stagecoach silver. It can be easily divided into 1/4 ounce segments.

Silver is not bad. Silver can also be used in other forms. Bacteria cannot grow on silver or materials made with silver in it (powder coating w/ silver) so using it as a way to store food or injesting (consult doctor) makes it even more valuable in a SHTF situation.

It may be splitting hairs, but is currency and barter the same? The OP did say currency but most of the post have been of a barter nature.

I say what is the harm of preparing for all possible scenarios? Why not have gold, silver, ammo, guns, toliet paper, food stuffs, water and water filters, fuel, board games and anything else you thing may be beneficial in a time of want and woe? I don't see it as a matter of one or the other, be prepared for anything.

And for the original poster, if you choose to go with bullion, look at something like Stagecoach silver. It can be easily divided into 1/4 ounce segments.

np with that at all. too many think that just owning gold and silver is the end all be all to survival. land food water in my opinion is the most important. society survived for thousands of years on a barter economy. in that aspect gold and silver as well as money in general are relitive newcomers. native americans traded for what they could not grow or make with from what they could grow or make. those stagecoach bars are pretty neat. what price do you put on food when you are starving? having silver and gold is only part of the problem. you pay 1800 us dollars for that one ounce gold coin and after the shtf your ar breaks. i have a spare but since its my only spare it would be worth much more to me than what you would want to give for it or perhaps more than what you have for it. to me 10 ounces of gold would still not be enough for me to chance not having it as my backup when shtf.... can you see the delimma? how much precious metal or "trade" stock is enough? there is no way to guage before it happens...

np with that at all. too many think that just owning gold and silver is the end all be all to survival. land food water in my opinion is the most important. society survived for thousands of years on a barter economy. in that aspect gold and silver as well as money in general are relitive newcomers. native americans traded for what they could not grow or make with from what they could grow or make. those stagecoach bars are pretty neat. what price do you put on food when you are starving? having silver and gold is only part of the problem. you pay 1800 us dollars for that one ounce gold coin and after the shtf your ar breaks. i have a spare but since its my only spare it would be worth much more to me than what you would want to give for it or perhaps more than what you have for it. to me 10 ounces of gold would still not be enough for me to chance not having it as my backup when shtf.... can you see the delimma? how much precious metal or "trade" stock is enough? there is no way to guage before it happens...

I look at prepping as an investment. Like any other form of investment, I think diversificaiton is a good thing. I believe precious metals have a place in your prepping portfolio but it shouldn't be the sum-total. I agree with the sentiment from the one gentleman who expressed all the silver you can carry won't buy one of my laying hens if I'm hungry.

PS: The Stagecoach silver is pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom