• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sigh... I'm about to lose my man card

Why are you guys running premium in your vehicles? Unless it's tuned there are no benefits
Ummm, because the manufacturer requires it on some models. Also, having it "tuned" has nothing to due with required octane ratings on a car. Compression/boost do....

Last edited:
2013 EX-L sport coupe.3.5L V6 290hp 39MPG
4.bp.blogspot.com__G_OoQm_Lx_M_UQtyzFwlN5I_AAAAAAAARiM_h_AZWPz7b02c710cbc2cdf123b0f4f75d26d3e5.jpg
Yeah, about impossible to find that for $4k.

My wife Explorer Sport calls for premium, we've put regular in it since it was brand new... LOL
Recommends or requires? There is a difference. Some PCM/ECU's can adjust timing to reduce knocking for lower octane, where as cars that require cannot as the compression ratio or lowest boost level will not allow for it.

Something to consider,,,will buying a gas saver really save you enough money for it be cost effective?

Example:
2006 Ford 150 weekly gas bill = $100 - yrly gas bill = $5200
2001 Honda gas saver gas bill = $52 - yrly gas bill = $2704
total savings just on gas yrly = $2496

cost of used gas saver $3000
extra yearly cost of insurance for gas saver = $400
extra costs of service, maintenance and tires, misc of gas saver = $1100

$3000
$1100
$ 400
-----------
$ 4500 added costs

How long will it take you to actually SAVE money buy buying a gas saver?

If I went through this same scenario years ago when I commuted over an hour each way. To me, I would rather be comfortable and spend a little extra on gas.

while this is true you also have to consider the money returned when/if you sell the spare car and the money saved by less wear and tear on the primary vehicle.

What cbhogan said! A $4K car has depreciated mot of its value already. Even if you mile it up, it will still probably bring within $500-$1000 of what you paid for it. In the meantime, you are paying for upkeep on a older $4k econo car vs a large truck or sports car. My tires are $200/ea and brakes and rotors are $2,800 (Brembo's). Really easy to get your money worth driving a gas saver turd then dumping it later on...

Back
Top Bottom