• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silver eagles....back up the truck

What I would like to know........ in the grand scheme of things when do-do hits the fan ; the special price paid for said "special" coins ....... will you be able to command a premium price for said coin or will it 'be-only-be-worth' the weight in silver only ...............
My GUESS would be absolutely not. That's why I never buy expensive stuff like Eagles or slabbed/graded coins with numismatic value. For ME it's only about the weight or silver content. In fact lots of silver stacking YouTube guys are heavy into Constitutional or 90%/ Junk silver which is all U.S. coins except nickels and pennies minted before 1965. They are 90% silver. So $1.40 in face value of that equals 1 troy oz of .999 silver. But being fractional means it's easier to barter with or use as real money. Plus it's more recognized and hardly ever counterfeited.
Personally I dig bars from 1 to 10oz . But in the SHTF scenario they wouldn't be nearly as useful. So for most stackers 1oz rounds and 90% silver is where it's at. I have a cigar box dedicated to each.

My opinion on the hypothetical situation that you bring up (I too have thought about this), is that maybe, just maybe early on, a “collector” may allow a little more on the eagles over others, but the longer a SHTF situation draws out, I think they’ll lose the collector value and it will come down to weight. >>>>>>With that being said, I think the longer that a SHTF situation rocks on, the value of a can of corn will increase more so than precious metals.<<<<<<<< That is of course my humble and uneducated opinion.
>>>>>>> This is what I was thinking also <<<<<<

What I would like to know........ in the grand scheme of things when do-do hits the fan ; the special price paid for said "special" coins ....... will you be able to command a premium price for said coin or will it 'be-only-be-worth' the weight in 'precious' metal only ...............
In a shtf scenario, no, weight and purity will trump all.
But if you are investing (hedge), then it will help marginally.

Maybe I am just missing the point but in my opinion, in a true SHTF scenario it seems to me that it would be necessities that carry the most value, like food, water, shelter, ammunition, gasoline. Can anyone explain how silver would help you survive?

Maybe I am just missing the point but in my opinion, in a true SHTF scenario it seems to me that it would be necessities that carry the most value, like food, water, shelter, ammunition, gasoline. Can anyone explain how silver would help you survive?
Cuz-maby USD would be/could be.... worthless ???? in a (economic crisis)
Not all will have what all they may need to survive ........ so bartering I think will be a way to cope/survive

initially, not much. If the situation stablizes, it will be a good barter item.

Your best bet at survival is to stock up on 8 and 16 oz cans of whoopass. You may not like violence, but being good at it might be what separates you from the dead.

In a true SHTF scenario the basic things that you need to survive will be worth more in theory, but that worth will be different to the individual that is needing one or all of those items. I would definitely recommend having those things in order before I put all of my cash into silver or gold, but once I had that taken care of, why would you not hold silver or gold? It is actual property that you can hold physically and has proven to be worth more today than yesterday, whereas the US dollar has proven to be doing the opposite.

Silver and gold is real money. Given the option of having cash sitting in the bank or having physical precious metals stashed away, I’ll take the PM. If I needed “extra” cash than what I had available to me, I could always trade my PM for greenbacks.

Long winded I know but to answer your question on how silver would help you survive; it will have a value based on its weight that will allow you to trade/barter for the items that you may need. What that value will be, will be determined by the individuals doing the bartering. For most of us, obviously food, water, medicine, ammo, (basic needs) etc… will have more value than precious metals, but looking back at history, silver and gold has always been the universal currency. I think you’ll stand a better chance of trading one ounce of silver for a chicken versus $100k of US dollars in a true SHTF scenario.

In a true SHTF scenario the basic things that you need to survive will be worth more in theory, but that worth will be different to the individual that is needing one or all of those items. I would definitely recommend having those things in order before I put all of my cash into silver or gold, but once I had that taken care of, why would you not hold silver or gold? It is actual property that you can hold physically and has proven to be worth more today than yesterday, whereas the US dollar has proven to be doing the opposite.

Silver and gold is real money. Given the option of having cash sitting in the bank or having physical precious metals stashed away, I’ll take the PM. If I needed “extra” cash than what I had available to me, I could always trade my PM for greenbacks.

Long winded I know but to answer your question on how silver would help you survive; it will have a value based on its weight that will allow you to trade/barter for the items that you may need. What that value will be, will be determined by the individuals doing the bartering. For most of us, obviously food, water, medicine, ammo, (basic needs) etc… will have more value than precious metals, but looking back at history, silver and gold has always been the universal currency. I think you’ll stand a better chance of trading one ounce of silver for a chicken versus $100k of US dollars in a true SHTF scenario.
My thoughts are that in an actual SHTF scenario, there will be no banks and money will be useless in any form. People will be wanting to barter for items they need to survive, not gold or silver. Just my thoughts. I doubt seriously though that we will ever see that bad a collapse. Even after the great depression money was still worth something, obviously gold and silver were worth more but I was thinking more on the lines of a complete collapse of government.

My opinion on the hypothetical situation that you bring up (I too have thought about this), is that maybe, just maybe early on, a “collector” may allow a little more on the eagles over others, but the longer a SHTF situation draws out, I think they’ll lose the collector value and it will come down to weight. With that being said, I think the longer that a SHTF situation rocks on, the value of a can of corn will increase more so than precious metals. That is of course my humble and uneducated opinion.
corn and bullets......

Back
Top Bottom