• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Silver eagles....back up the truck

My GUESS would be absolutely not. That's why I never buy expensive stuff like Eagles or slabbed/graded coins with numismatic value. For ME it's only about the weight or silver content. In fact lots of silver stacking YouTube guys are heavy into Constitutional or 90%/ Junk silver which is all U.S. coins except nickels and pennies minted before 1965. They are 90% silver. So $1.40 in face value of that equals 1 troy oz of .999 silver. But being fractional means it's easier to barter with or use as real money. Plus it's more recognized and hardly ever counterfeited.
Personally I dig bars from 1 to 10oz . But in the SHTF scenario they wouldn't be nearly as useful. So for most stackers 1oz rounds and 90% silver is where it's at. I have a cigar box dedicated to each.
sound ideas....you just need something a bit larger that a cigar box....unless your talking about gold, then a cigar box should cover it...

My thoughts are that in an actual SHTF scenario, there will be no banks and money will be useless in any form. People will be wanting to barter for items they need to survive, not gold or silver. Just my thoughts. I doubt seriously though that we will ever see that bad a collapse. Even after the great depression money was still worth something, obviously gold and silver were worth more but I was thinking more on the lines of a complete collapse of government.
I don't pretend to be any kinda economic expert. But my thoughts on this are that we don't have any idea what the SHTF scenario will look like. It could be just a complete financial system collapse in which case any type of barter goods will be very necessary. And that's where I believe metals would be useful. Now in a complete collapse of society then metals wouldn't have much value. Although at some point when some type of order is restored eventually then paper money would probably be looked at pretty much the same as Confederate dollars.
But your point is valid. Metals are just a small part of being prepared.

Maybe I am just missing the point but in my opinion, in a true SHTF scenario it seems to me that it would be necessities that carry the most value, like food, water, shelter, ammunition, gasoline. Can anyone explain how silver would help you survive?
well....my idea is that silver/gold are not going to be helpful at first, however if we are to carry on as as humans, then, at some point a barter system that includes precious metals and what not will be in play....at first, I think it will be food, water, bullets and guns...in any order you choose.....money of any type will become worthless in a few days, when people begin to get hungry and thirsty.....when people start killing people, which will be fairly quick,...guns and ammo will become as important as food and water...it will take these things to survive....I don't want to be here for that!!!

sound ideas....you just need something a bit larger that a cigar box....unless your talking about gold, then a cigar box should cover it...
I'm TRYING to break the 100oz mark which lately has been next to impossible. Lately every week there's some surprise expense requiring ME to fork over around a hundred give or take that I WOULD have spent on rounds or bars.
As for the cigar boxes if I got them any close to full it would be well over 100oz and plenty enough. Only issue ( aside from expense) is that the rounds and bars are in plastic covers that take up added space. I kinda think I dig the 90% a little more since it's already circulated and worn. You can hold a few half dollars in your hand and the jingling sound they make is completely different than modern coins.
I don't pretend to be any kinda economic expert. But my thoughts on this are that we don't have any idea what the SHTF scenario will look like. It could be just a complete financial system collapse in which case any type of barter goods will be very necessary. And that's where I believe metals would be useful. Now in a complete collapse of society then metals wouldn't have much value. Although at some point when some type of order is restored eventually then paper money would probably be looked at pretty much the same as Confederate dollars.
But your point is valid. Metals are just a small part of being prepared.

Attachments

• 16910980203517985647621967422625.jpg
    16910980203517985647621967422625.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 16910980735005324080410580814472.jpg
    16910980735005324080410580814472.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 15
I'm TRYING to break the 100oz mark which lately has been next to impossible. Lately every week there's some surprise expense requiring ME to fork over around a hundred give or take that I WOULD have spent on rounds or bars.
As for the cigar boxes if I got them any close to full it would be well over 100oz and plenty enough. Only issue ( aside from expense) is that the rounds and bars are in plastic covers that take up added space. I kinda think I dig the 90% a little more since it's already circulated and worn. You can hold a few half dollars in your hand and the jingling sound they make is completely different than modern coins.
I absolutely go for the "junk" silver...I think it's the best way to go....BUT....I'm a swinger....I get both

I absolutely go for the "junk" silver...I think it's the best way to go....BUT....I'm a swinger....I get both
For some reason dimes are the most popular followed by halves. And nobody seems to like quarters. I have some of all of them but I always seem to go for the halves and preferably Franklin halves. It just takes forever to fill a box with those damn dimes.

please excuse the crappy photo....AND I know most here hate eBay...probably not as much as me...however I have bought a few of these rolls....they are as described, and I think a fairly good deal...I'm sure others can find a better deal, however I can attest to the detail of the condition I have received....the price fluctuates through out the day, so it appears to be linked to the spot silver....anyway...it's been as low a $199, and over $265...
20230803_174330.png
as I can remember.

please excuse the crappy photo....AND I know most here hate eBay...probably not as much as me...however I have bought a few of these rolls....they are as described, and I think a fairly good deal...I'm sure others can find a better deal, however I can attest to the detail of the condition I have received....the price fluctuates through out the day, so it appears to be linked to the spot silver....anyway...it's been as low a $199, and over $265...View attachment 6040704as I can remember.
I have bought generic rounds and 90% stuff on eBay with good results.

Back
Top Bottom