• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Site is very sloooooowww....

Other sites have not slowed down using this VPN! download speed testing shows the same using VPN or not!

Download speed tests are not the same as web page loads.

Other sites you've tested may have content delivery networks (CDN) in place. That's when the site's resources are cached in a network of servers, typically all over the world. So, if your VPN is a server in San Fran or Munich, the VPN may be getting some or all of the assets for other sites from a server that is much closer to the VPN than ODT is.

Because most ODT traffic is in the southeast, and a higher percentage of that traffic is from Georgia or near-Georgia residents, the number of router hops required to assemble all of the content for a page is much less than it would be for access from a distant location.

Try doing a geolocation with your browser, to see where your current VPN presence is. The farther away, the more routers each packet has to traverse to get to and from ODT to your browser. It makes a difference.

It looks like the Service Worker's attempt to cache things just doesn't want to work when on a VPN.

1684244255234.png

This attempt to load this post just stopped at this point, and it rendered a blank page with no content. Subsequent page loads (eventually) loaded without the Service Worker being used, and that worked fine.

I'm in Dalton using a VPN connection through Atlanta. So, I'm not hopping all over the world here.

I would recommend moving all of the caching in the Service Worker to a more traditional and simple PHP page that can handle caching on the backend. Trying to cache via javascript on the client side is never going to be as reliable as a backend solution because there are too many variables to deal with (browsers, devices, versions).

Plus, the relisting process got ridiculous after the upgrade. Previously, when an ad was eligible for relisting, all one had to do was click Relist, and then you were done. It kept all settings related to that ad. Simple. Good.

Now, when you do that, it relists it, but it leaves the old ad, with a link in it to the new ad, you are still subscribed to the old ad, you have to manually subscribe to the relisted ad, and manually unsubscribe from the old ad. That is completely retarded and asinine.

The most streamlined way (simplest, with fewest mouse clicks) that I have found around that idiocy is to open the ad that is eligible for relisting, unsubscribe (and confirm unsubscription), then Relist, then subscribe to the new ad, then disable comments (and you have to freaking click that TWICE!). Still WAY too many mouse clicks and still completely asinine.

Once (a big if) this ridiculous crap (along with the frequent spammers because of ZERO VETTING) gets fixed, then I might consider renewing my membership.

Once this site went from a "hobby trying to recover operating expenses" to a money-making machine, it went down the tubes.
I would love to hear the details of the vetting process you're suggesting.

Okuma Okuma , did you do something? Site is screaming fast at home ISP for me all of a sudden.

Not sure what was changed, but the service worker is still there. The site is MUCH faster over VPN this evening. In fact, this post loaded sub-second. If there was a change, it was a GOOD one!

Post I was on earlier loaded (fully) in 1.42 secs over VPN from Dalton through Atlanta:
1684374183890.png

We didn't make any deliberate changes relative to site performance. We routinely apply OS and control panel updates to the web and database servers, which can have an impact. That happened twice this week, so I can't rule out server-side related difference, For the vast majority of visitors, the site's performance was good before any such updates.

Service worker js script likely isn't the issue, as that's part of the forum application stack and hasn't changed.

It could also be something the data center did, without regard to ODT: Perhaps nullify a bad route that other data center residents were complaining about. That's where I'd place my bet.

We have numerous monitors watching the site's uptime and performance. Since the last round of major forum updates and changes (in 2022), the performance has been very consistent. We have the stack tuned to the point where a high percentage of visitors have a good performance experience, including during higher traffic periods.

Glad those of you using a VPN are enjoying better performance. Maybe this discussion rattled the NSA and they shut their packet sniffers down. ;)

Back
Top Bottom