• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Slide lock - why do you care?

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
Honestly, if I get to slide lock, I have screwed up. My goal is to either eliminate the threat with what is in the gun, or reload before I go empty. Same thing when shooting USPSA - well at least to the second part.

If I do go empty, I am going to insert the new mag and yank hell out of the slide anyway (if I remember to do it correctly and don't throw my mag(s) halfway across the course on the reload - true story)

So what is the big deal about slide lock?

Honestly, if I get to slide lock, I have screwed up. My goal is to either eliminate the threat with what is in the gun, or reload before I go empty. Same thing when shooting USPSA - well at least to the second part.

If I do go empty, I am going to insert the new mag and yank hell out of the slide anyway (if I remember to do it correctly and don't throw my mag(s) halfway across the course on the reload - true story)

So what is the big deal about slide lock?

Let me give you a scenario:
You're in an active firefight, nearing the end of your magazine.
Option A: you tac reload while taking fire and manage to retain the partially expended magazine....It's just 2 seconds or so, not like an even mildly competent marksman on the other end can get off 4-5 aimed shots in that time...right?
Option B: you tac reload and fail to retain the expended magazine...in all likelihood, you managed to burn 3-4 seconds while freaking out and trying to jam the partially expended magazine into a pocket or holder......7-10 incoming shots....one of them is likely to hurt.
Option C: Fire until dry and take ~1 second to eject the spent magazine on the ground, insert fresh, chamber and resume firing.

Let me give you a scenario:
You're in an active firefight, nearing the end of your magazine.
Option A: you tac reload while taking fire and manage to retain the partially expended magazine....It's just 2 seconds or so, not like an even mildly competent marksman on the other end can get off 4-5 aimed shots in that time...right?
Option B: you tac reload and fail to retain the expended magazine...in all likelihood, you managed to burn 3-4 seconds while freaking out and trying to jam the partially expended magazine into a pocket or holder......7-10 incoming shots....one of them is likely to hurt.
Option C: Fire until dry and take ~1 second to eject the spent magazine on the ground, insert fresh, chamber and resume firing.

Option C

Back
Top Bottom