• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Smaller home for retirement?

It’s funny how things work out and I don’t mean funny in a bad way. I’ve been mostly retired for 5 years and there has been something come along for us that has kept us from being able to do what most people think they can do in retirement. My MIL is having issues that keep us from being able to do a lot of things that we otherwise would. I know folks who seem to be able to do all the things they want but to date that hasn’t been our situation. Wish you the best with yours
Best wishes to you as well.

Great thread!
I'm dreaming about a barndo on a few acres right now....

Screenshot_20230716_094006_Samsung Internet.jpg

Retired about 2 years ago. Sold the large house in Canton for big $$ and moved south near Milledgeville. Bought acreage, pond, new house for less than we sold Canton place. Closer to kids and granddaughter. Escaped "Atlanta". Miss the basement shop but new place has 2 car garage which now houses the shop and the classic Mustang. Added an 18x25 prefab metal building with spray foam to store all the junk from basement. New house is slightly smaller but floor plan has everything we need on bottom floor and two bedrooms on second floor for family and guests.

One thing I've become brutally aware of is the availability of medical care. Bypass surgery will do that for you.

I was seriously considering retiring to Appalachicola, Clay County. Very reasonable housing, moderate temps, so living costs are low, lots for me to do. Then I discovered that there was no health care provided in the county at that time, not even a P.A. I was slapped in the face with reviewing Board of Commissioners minutes, and they were discussing setting up a part time aid station. There was no full time ambulance service - ambulances had to come from Tallahassee, and go back there for care.

I'm all for getting back to the land, and off the grid, and yada yada yada, but I'm not willing to die in the cause.

One thing I've become brutally aware of is the availability of medical care. Bypass surgery will do that for you.

I was seriously considering retiring to Appalachicola, Clay County. Very reasonable housing, moderate temps, so living costs are low, lots for me to do. Then I discovered that there was no health care provided in the county at that time, not even a P.A. I was slapped in the face with reviewing Board of Commissioners minutes, and they were discussing setting up a part time aid station. There was no full time ambulance service - ambulances had to come from Tallahassee, and go back there for care.

I'm all for getting back to the land, and off the grid, and yada yada yada, but I'm not willing to die in the cause.
Yep when you're young you don't think about these things. But usually you don't have to. I always wanted to move far away, but never did. Now I really shouldn't. Too many responsibilities...

This is one of the factors that dictate location to us. We are both in excellent health but at some point that does change.

Back
Top Bottom