• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Snow jam 2014(Traffic Gridlock)=SHTF

The surface streets here inside the perimeter are hit and miss. If everyone stops on a hill, you are done. I had to drop it into 4 low a few times just to get going. If I had tires that weren't 11 years old and dried out I probably would have had better traction. Anyone in an American medium or large sedan or a non AWD BMW was screwed beyond screwed.

If you stay out of 4 low and keep it in 4 high you'll get better traction. 4 low applies maximum torque to the surface which is what you don't want and will make tires spin much easier in slick conditions. 4 low is for heavy pulling and crawling over obstacles that need maximum torque. If you have a Ford truck with an automatic move the shifter to 2nd gear and it will pull off in 2nd gear reducing torque to the wheels. I hate a Ford but the ability to pull off by starting in 2nd gear rather than 1st is a nice feature the engineers put on em.
I've been 4 wheelin since birth and just thought I'd throw it out there as a fun fact for those that could use a tip on driving in the slick stuff.

Last edited:
I went from Loganville to Lawrenceville and it's nasty. Saw a few 2 wheel drives doing ice ballet's. Even 4wd was not fun in some areas. I tried 2wd with good all terrain tires and it's sketchy. If you stop in 2wd, good luck getting going if there is any incline. I saw a few who attempted just leaving their cars and walking back home.

If you stay out of 4 low and keep it in 4 high you'll get better traction. 4 low applies maximum torque to the surface which is what you don't want and will make tires spin much easier in slick conditions. 4 low is for heavy pulling and crawling over obstacles that need maximum torque. If you have a Ford truck with an automatic move the shifter to 2nd gear and it will pull off in 2nd gear reducing torque to the wheels. I hate a Ford but the ability to pull off by starting in 2nd gear rather than 1st is a nice feature the engineers put on em.
I've been 4 wheelin since birth and just thought I'd throw it out there as a fun fact for those that could use a tip on driving in the slick stuff.

^^^ That is what I did in my Ford truck. It was great and had no issues in 4 wheel high.

So how bad is everything still. I will be wrapping up business in Greenville,sc today around noon. I'm trying to decide whether to try and make it home tonight or wait till Thursday morning.

I'd stay put until at least Friday, man. 85S is a parking lot just north of the perimeter and most surface streets ate done for too....nothing has been salted, nothin has been sanded and abandoned cars are all over the roads....most of the gridlock is simply because some jackwagon has left his car in the middle of the road.

Back
Top Bottom