• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I bought a Jeep. Now what?

It depends on what you call "trail ride". If you really mean Forestry Service roads, it's perfectly OK as is maybe up the tire size a bit; whatever will fit. Add a set of jumper cables, fire extinguisher, 12 volt compressor big enough to inflate truck tires in less than an hour, and a set of basic tools. Carry a few bottles of water, rain gear, gloves, e-tool or shovel, and maybe a tarp and blanke, and enjoy. Now you're ready to help yourself and others.

If you want to carry stuff on top (canoe, kayak, lumber from Home Depot), then add racks.

If you want to be really prepared, then add extraction equipment: Jerk straps, tree protectors, shackles, maybe a chain or two, a large come-a-long, maybe even a decent saw and hatchet. This will get you out of the occasional "oopsie". Personally, I would avoid buying the nearly ubiquitous Hi-Lift jack. I personally don't find them as useful as they are hyped to be, but that's me.

If you start to get 'serious' then add a winch first, then lockers. Lockers can get you out, or they can get you REALLY stuck, so having the winch first is a good idea. When it starts to get really rough, add rock sliders. At this point you should be running trails with a group; people who have a lot of experience and can point you into the right direction for mods.

THEN, if you've found that the Jeep itself is the limiting factor, add a lift and larger tires. Lifting a coil sprung Jeep isn't as simple or cheap as you might think. A good lift that won't crumple under real use can be expensive. Don't forget that may include new shocks, springs, brake lines, drive line mods, etc. Bigger tires may require regearing, front and rear.

Or, just ignore all this and put bumpers, a winch, a huge lift and 35's, and brag about "trail runnin' " on dirt roads. Then don't forget to mount a Hi-Lift jack across the hood and a big LED light bar across the roof. It will look GOOD parked at the mall.
Man does this say a lot. I've had so many friends get Jeeps (not a Liberty, Grand Cherokee or the like) and put all the crap on it. Its like a disease. The 2-door will do most things with no mods at all. Some folks just keep pushing it till their vehicle itself is the limiting factor and go and mod it to hell.

Must Have List:
Hi-Lift jack, light bar, big stereo, stickers, custom bumper(s), CB and massive antenna, tow package, more lights, big oversized shackles, chain to loop between the shackles, roof rack, multiple/varied tops, under lighting, in-wheel lighting, rhino lined floors, rock sliders, lift kit #1, upgraded wheels, bigger tires, upgraded spare mount, upgraded axles, upgraded/bigger brakes, lockers, bigger lift kit, even bigger tires, bead locker wheels, body panel mods, snorkel, better diffs/gearing, locking gear/storage box, removable suspension linkages, air compressor, custom seats/covers, bigger exhaust, muffler/cat delete, tow/jerk straps, rigging adapters, fuel cans/mounts, traction plates, shovel w/mount, air/train horns, engine mods, engine swaps, billet add-ons to stuff you've already swapped (diff covers, steering knuckle, pans)...I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out.

Man does this say a lot. I've had so many friends get Jeeps (not a Liberty, Grand Cherokee or the like) and put all the crap on it. Its like a disease. The 2-door will do most things with no mods at all. Some folks just keep pushing it till their vehicle itself is the limiting factor and go and mod it to hell.

Must Have List:
Hi-Lift jack, light bar, big stereo, stickers, custom bumper(s), CB and massive antenna, tow package, more lights, big oversized shackles, chain to loop between the shackles, roof rack, multiple/varied tops, under lighting, in-wheel lighting, rhino lined floors, rock sliders, lift kit #1, upgraded wheels, bigger tires, upgraded spare mount, upgraded axles, upgraded/bigger brakes, lockers, bigger lift kit, even bigger tires, bead locker wheels, body panel mods, snorkel, better diffs/gearing, locking gear/storage box, removable suspension linkages, air compressor, custom seats/covers, bigger exhaust, muffler/cat delete, tow/jerk straps, rigging adapters, fuel cans/mounts, traction plates, shovel w/mount, air/train horns, engine mods, engine swaps, billet add-ons to stuff you've already swapped (diff covers, steering knuckle, pans)...I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out.
What I’m seeing is they are following the Challenger / Charger crowd…who wudda thunk

Back
Top Bottom