• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

So I organized my ammo closet.

If letusbuyyourcar is out, Tractor Supply carries new cans, 30 and 50 cal. Price isn't bad seeing as they are local and shipping not required.
Just don't get the Chinese ones from Walmart. They get about $12.00 each for thin ****ty ones. I might be able to source a hundred or so more . Let me ax my hookup.

I have had good luck with AIM Surplus for GI-style ammo cans. A few people have recommended to me pretty emphatically to try some of the plastic-looking MTM case/tray containers.

ETA: Isn't someone on here selling some ammo cans?

One thing to be careful of with the MTM cans is the handle. The old style cans had a pretty good handle system, with pegs that fit into round holes. Never had a problem with those.

The new style ones are a lot more flimsy, and the handle can easily pull out of it's socket in the top. I transferred a bunch of 9mm over to a new box, and as soon as I picked it up the handle ripped off and 30 lbs of ammo landed on my foot. Almost broke the dang thing.

I called MTM and their answer was 'don't fill it up with that much' I ended up using them for lighter stuff than ammo, and scavenged up all the old style boxes I could find for heavy/dense ammo like 45 and 9mm.

I do like the plastic cans better than the metal, GI ones though. They tend not to gouge everything you put them on, and put less weight on the shelving units. Plus they are made to stack easily and securely.

Just realize that if you fill them up, you could have issues with the handles.

I assume most anyone with a healthy supply of ammo on hand probably went through an online wholesaler. I'd also assume the majority of bulk ammo purchases are made up of good quality range ammo.

The smart way to do it would be to figure out the rate you're shooting through ammo and then order periodically where you never run super low but you also don't need to put a conex in your back yard due to overflow either. Shortages can throw a wrench in the works though, so some folks tend to get a little extra prior to, for example, election years.

People conflate end-of-the-world prepping versus "I remember the last time no one had reasonably-priced 9mm for a year." Or, like the OP is doing, just getting organized.

I buy whatever ammo I use when the price is low, since it always goes back up again. Right now I'm picking up all the 9mm I can afford, since that's something I'll always need and I'd be amazed if it ever got a low as this again. Same for 223 and 308.

Like you say, world events have a huge effect on price and availability. I bought a case of 5000 CCI Blazer 22LRs just a few days before Sandy Hook, and I had to live off those (and help some friends out) for the next two years.

One thing to be careful of with the MTM cans is the handle. The old style cans had a pretty good handle system, with pegs that fit into round holes. Never had a problem with those.

The new style ones are a lot more flimsy, and the handle can easily pull out of it's socket in the top. I transferred a bunch of 9mm over to a new box, and as soon as I picked it up the handle ripped off and 30 lbs of ammo landed on my foot. Almost broke the dang thing.

I called MTM and their answer was 'don't fill it up with that much' I ended up using them for lighter stuff than ammo, and scavenged up all the old style boxes I could find for heavy/dense ammo like 45 and 9mm.

I do like the plastic cans better than the metal, GI ones though. They tend not to gouge everything you put them on, and put less weight on the shelving units. Plus they are made to stack easily and securely.

Just realize that if you fill them up, you could have issues with the handles.

I buy whatever ammo I use when the price is low, since it always goes back up again. Right now I'm picking up all the 9mm I can afford, since that's something I'll always need and I'd be amazed if it ever got a low as this again. Same for 223 and 308.

Like you say, world events have a huge effect on price and availability. I bought a case of 5000 CCI Blazer 22LRs just a few days before Sandy Hook, and I had to live off those (and help some friends out) for the next two years.
I have two plastic cans that I got from a failed paintball range several years ago. They're for storing those tall black CO2 bottles. None of my boxed ammo fits right in them but I use them anyway because they're very light and about the same size as the 50 call cans. I have one just for 12 gauge that's nearly full of loose shells. I'll try to post a pic of one when I get home. They're a decent way to go if you can source them.

To each his own with different circumstances - Not a brag but food for thought as my hope would be that all my ODT brethren be prepared should fecal matter ever hit the fan

I have no real idea of total quantities

I have prepped with adequate ammunition quantities among other necessities at many locations that with any luck I will never see again - This in conjunction with a more than adequate home base storage - I would rather have multiple resupply points should one be compromised - I plan to bunker in place but have the option to relocate where required

All this sounds expensive but my tinfoil hat is old and time has been on my side - The expense spread over 30+ years hasn’t even been noticed - Prepping should be treated like a long term retirement plan taking in to account as many possibilities as one can afford

To each his own with different circumstances - Not a brag but food for thought as my hope would be that all my ODT brethren be prepared should fecal matter ever hit the fan

I have no real idea of total quantities

I have prepped with adequate ammunition quantities among other necessities at many locations that with any luck I will never see again - This in conjunction with a more than adequate home base storage - I would rather have multiple resupply points should one be compromised - I plan to bunker in place but have the option to relocate where required

All this sounds expensive but my tinfoil hat is old and time has been on my side - The expense spread over 30+ years hasn’t even been noticed - Prepping should be treated like a long term retirement plan taking in to account as many possibilities as one can afford

I have read up on prepping, and most experts seem to think that we are all pretty much boned if society were to crap the bed.

Everyone thinks they can hunt and live off the land, which is fine for about a week until the animals see everyone moving into the woods and hunting and they take off and run further out.

No communications, no electricity. Stores go empty, food spoils. People have generators which sounds good on paper, except they are noisy and when 500 starving and desperate people hear it and see you having the only lights on, they will come for your food. people with starving kids will turn into animals in order to feed them.

We can talk about having our homes fortified, but I doubt that anyone reading this is really prepared for hundreds of people storming your house, no matter how many guns you have... And if you do kill a few dozen of them, what then? The stench and disease from rotting corpses on your lawn will be a problem at some point...

Maybe a few people that already live out in rural areas with large parcels of land, and a well, might do well for a time... But anything really long term, will find most of us unprepared to actually live long like that... Millions of starving people in cities moving out in massive groups... none of us has enough ammo for that, and most won't have the willpower to mow down women and children who are simply desperate for food and water...

I think that having guns, ammo, fuel and basic supplies for a week or two of no power or infrastructure makes sense... but anything truly catastrophic and long term, will see most people truly screwed, preppers or not...

Back
Top Bottom